UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bigdan195 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1040  
Subject: Illinois > Speeding ticket Date: 7/19/2009 9:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Not sure if this is correct place to ask this question, but here goes:

We live in Illinois. My son is 20 years old. He got a speeding ticket 2 weeks ago. Almost 2 years ago, he was in a minor car accident, and got a ticket. He paid the fine, and went to traffic school for a 4 hour class to have the ticket removed from his record.
In addition, 4 years ago, right after he got his licence at age 16, he veered off the road onto the gravel to avoid an oncoming car, but the cop gave him a ticket anyway. He paid the fine and went to traffic school for that as well.

Is anybody familiar with the laws in Illinois regarding driving and keeping (or losing) your license? I went to DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) web sitesite for State of Illinois, but it is very complicated to understand and follow.

It is so confusing, we don't know what action to take. If he pleads guily, and pays the fine, if he gets another ticket in the next 24 months (I think), he loses his license. However, when we call the circuit clrks office, and explain the situation, they suggest that we can pleade not guilty, go before a judge, and the judge will say he is in fact guilty and put him under court supervision for 6 months. If he gets no tickets in the 6 month period, the latest ticket is removed from his record.

However, we are hesitant to do this based on what one person said on the telephone.

Best bet might be for us to go talk to an attorney for a 1 hour consultation to determine course of action.

However, if somebody is familiar with the laws in Illinois regarding this, any and all input is appreciated. Thanks
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement