UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308478  
Subject: Re: happy dance: big progress with work $$$! Date: 7/4/2007 5:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
i<sic> just negotiated my first retainer deal. this<sic> means that a client will pay me what seems a ridiculously large sum of money *in advance* for 20 hours every 2 weeks - enough to form a solid foundation and leave lots of time for other work! yahooo!<sic> this is *such* a big deal to me as a free lancer - it provides a lot of stability that will literally change my life. (my background is in law, but i<sic> am now a free-lance writer.)

since<sic> i<sic> got rid of my abusive ex almost 3 years ago, i<sic> have been scratching and clawing my way to some kind of stability, including filing for BK to help cut the ties with him. many<sic> times i<sic> thought about giving up and just getting a "normal job" that would pay "a lot more money". but<sic> the stories i've<sic> read here, and what i've<sic> learned here, have given me hope that my lifelong dream was possible. so<sic> i've<sic> always gritted my teeth and thought, if not now, when??? i<sic> temped, scrounged, rolled coins, walked, used only my bank's ATM, whatever. (i<sic> did take chunk from my retirement fund, which i'm<sic> not happy about.)

it<sic> sounds so weird to me, but - i<sic> am *so psyched* to have regular cash flow so i<sic> can map out my spending, saving, open a SEP/IRA, etc. i've<sic> had plenty of gigs, but cash flow has always been a problem. now<sic> i<sic> can finally get on a regular rhythm of repaying my mother for all her kindness. i'm<sic> sure she thought of the money she gave me as a gift. but<sic> now she could use it, and i'll<sic> be able to come through.

thanks<sic> to you all here, i<sic> know how to manage this income so i<sic> don't end up in the same place as before.

yipppppeeee! happy dance!

BklynBorn
- BklynBorn | Date: 6/1/07 3:58 PM | Number: 253922

Somehow it is difficult for me to believe you are a free-lance writer. I could, of course be wrong.

Kahuna,CFA
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement