UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jesserivera67 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75530  
Subject: Re: After meeting with a Financial Advisor Date: 10/7/2003 12:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm a fan of keeping things simple after helping my folks out...the companies you mentioned are good companies with some good no load funds from what I know of them.

$3k in the Roth IRA sounds good...I'm curious who you'll be opening it with?

The extra money you'd like to invest I'm in complete agreement with the rest of the pack...there is no "right" answer. How much time do you want to invest in this? Lots, middle of the road, just enough to be in the know? How long do you intend on investing the money? For what purpose?
Do you have an emergency cushion with your DH that you both are comfortable with (3-6 months...sorry if you already answered this)? Will the $3000-$5000 be an annual deposit? Have you or your DH maxed a 401(k) if available? It really depends on what your goals are.

I don't mean to make it seem complex and sorry if it seems that way. I put a similar post as yours and these are all the questions the Fools came back with. Pretty daunting eh? Don't sweat it since it's not that hard once you get cracking and the Fools are who sent me to Vanguard once I had gone through the calculations and determined what kind of investor I was...they will force you to do some homework I must admit.

I keep pretty much all my accounts at Vanguard. They have a clean website where I can consolidate and do what I need to. They have plenty of funds for me to get the diversity I need for the growth I'm looking for. (and most importantly for the right price!)

If you like investing a little more time an ETF (e.g. SPY) through Scottrade will be tough to beat I think.

I noticed you were also looking for an insurance quote and retirement tool...here are a few you may want to check out...

Insurance:
www.term4sale.com (term insurance only)
www.quickquote.com
www.instantquote.com
www.accuquote.com
www.insuremarket.com
www.selectquote.com (term only)

Retirement calculators:
www.financeware.com (you'll need to register to use the tool based on Monte Carlo. See the site for details)
www.zunna.com (if you have trouble finding the tool try http://dev211.edthosting.com/)

These retirement calculators will give you a little more detail based on historical trends instead of an average return.

btw, if you have Quicken or Microsoft Money I believe they come with one.

Best of luck to you!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement