Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm a graduate student, and expect to have my M.A. completed sometime in August. My tax bill for last year was $458.

I'll get to the point and ask the obvious questions. (1) Am I going to receive a check for 1/3 of that?

Maybe. If you were claimed as someones dependent you'll get nothing. Otherwise you'll get $153.

(2) How does this affect my tax return for next year?

It's too soon to tell. The answer depends on your income for 2001. There will be a worksheet that might result in a credit you claim on your 2001 return. In the interest of sanity and your exams, I recommend you wait until you start working on your 2001 return to worry about it.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.