UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35377  
Subject: Re: OT: Phone Call Asking Me to Invest Date: 1/30/2009 10:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I'm a little late here, but it wouldn't be the first time.

The phone device I want is in my house and intercepts the call. It asks the caller to enter (via the keypad) a code number in order to complete the call.

Of course this number is only available to friends, etc...

http://www.avinta.com/products-1/uwc/home/uwchme.htm

You can accomplish some of this with Vonage, which gives you caller ID for free along with the $25 monthly fee. (Also conferencing, call waiting, etc. And you can keep your current number, or have another number - even another area code - if you like. [One neat trick: I can live in Tennessee and have a "local" number in Pennsylvania where my parents live. Cool.])

One of the Vonage features allows call blocking from people who have blocked numbers themselves, as most telemarketers do (they don't want you calling back.) Instead those calls get shunted off, either to your voice mail or to a robot greeting saying "We don't accept these calls. Get lost." Well, more polite words, but that's the message.)

We have a Vonage line, because we were spending $20-$25 a month on long distance (even with a cheapo carrier) on our AT&T service anyway, so now we have two. The only downside is that a Vonage line won't carry fax tones (although you can upgrade to one that will), but there are ways around that.

Finally, maybe the easiest way (again with caller ID) is to get a cordless phone set. I have a Uniden package with one base station and 3 remote handsets. The caller ID shows up on every handset, and I can program in up to 100 people in the "directory". I can likewise program in a "custom ring" for those people (different rings for different folks), so just from the ring I can tell if it's the wife, or my folks, or somebody unknown calling - and I know from across the room without even having to get up and look at the handset.

A few cordless sets (Panasonic, I think) now have "audible" caller ID. You program in your friends, and when a call comes in and the number is recognized, the machine chirps "Incoming call: John Smith". You can see any of these features on the shelves of Staples or Office Depot right now. Take a look, then think about buying from the liquidators on eBay, who take the "returned product", test it, and shovel it out the door, sometimes for half-price of the retail product.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mobileye's Growth too Hot?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement