No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm a little late to the party, but something struck me while reading this thread. I agree that it's possible the charges have accrued enough interest and late fees to get up to $1000. Cap One was the first credit card I got without having my parents cosign for me when I was about 18. They allowed me to make purchases over and above my credit limit (I was naive to think the store would just deny the charge). They would then tack on over the limit fees that pushed me further over. My minimum payments at the time brought it just under the limit, but the interest would push it over again and another over the limit fee would be added. They refused to remove any fees and as soon as I had the money to pay it off I closed the account. I'll never get a card from them again, even if it was my fault that I didn't keep track of my spending at the time and charged too much.

I'm not trying to come down on the OP, but I'm wondering if there's something missing in the story.

About 18 months ago I had a little bill of $45, paid it on their website. It never went through. I never heard anyting from them, and $45, I'm sorry, I am not quite anal enough to track everything I get.

If they weren't anal enough to track a payment that apparently never went through, did they "forget" about charges they made as well? Maybe there was more than a $45 balance, but other charges didn't post until after the closing date for that statement cycle. Or is it possible the ex-husband was on the account, or had access to the card and charged some things that they didn't know about?

It would probably be too costly to request copies of old statements to see what all the charges are, and I wonder, if you ask for verification of debt can all the charges be broken out to see what the original purchases were, what the interest is and what the late fees are? It might answer some questions about how Cap One got to their current amounts.

Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement