No. of Recommendations: 2

I got married in december, so I sent out my host of letters requesting my name be legally changed to my husbands, yadda yadda. I signed all of them First name, Maiden Last, Married Last Name. No one had a problem doing it..........until now.

I got this response from Lowe's:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Maiden Name
Address

We are contacting you regarding a request we received related to your LOWE'S credit card account.

A request to change information on your account was recieved from FN, ML, MN

As our contractual agreement is with you, we cannot make any changes at a third party's request. We thought it best that we bring this matter to your attention. If you have the need to make changes to your account, please contact us personally and we will be happy to consider your request,

Very truly yours,
Not so bright EDM Supervisor, Data Entry.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I SO want to send this guy a snarky letter. I mean, in the same letter I requested my account be closed, and they certainly had no problems doing THAT.

Here is my first draft:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Not so bright:

I am in receipt of your letter (attached) dated April 9, 2002. I must admit I am quite confused as to why you consider my request to change my name to my married name a "third party" request. My name is no longer legally Maiden Name, so I cannot make a request using said name. Lowe's certainly had no problem closing my account at my request as a "third party".

Since this request was obviously misunderstood, my name legally changed due to marriage on December 8, 2001, and I have enclosed a copy of both my updated Social Security card and marriage license to avoid any further confusion.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

FN, Maiden last, Married last
-----------------------------------------------------

Suggestions? Comments?

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
They sound like idiots.

Catleen
No. of Recommendations: 8
Suggestions? Comments?

My suggestion is that you let it go. No real upside for you; account's closed, why waste the time?

My comment is that they're following procedure protecting you from someone else ordering changes in your account. Sure, someone's zealously adhereing to policy, but would you prefer their policy be to err on the side of accepting, instead of rejecting such requests? Their request that you drop into a store to make the change sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Opening accounts or changing account information is much more fraud-prone than closing accounts. It's possible their policy is to close upon any request, but open or change info with only the most positive proof.

Vent if you like, but I wouldn't spend the effort.

Good luck,

Bruce
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you really need to send this letter because your soul won't rest unless you do, then take out the snide remark about how they had no problem closing the account. All that's going to do is make you sound arrogant or them sound incompetent. And regardless of the veracity of either possibility, it doesn't do any good to actually bring it up.

- Kilbia
Yes, I suppose you're right.

I just had to call them to get a letter saying my account has a zero balance, and even the CSR rep got a kick out of it. They told me to just send some documentation and that would get the job done.

<i<>They told me to just
send some documentation and that would get the job done.

It's probably worth the nuisance to get the name changed anyway. Assuming you've enjoyed a good history with Lowe's, you'll want that reported to the CRAs under your proper name.

Jeanie
From your draft response:

<< Since this request was obviously misunderstood, my name legally changed due to marriage on December 8, 2001, and I have enclosed a copy of both my updated Social Security card and marriage license to avoid any further confusion. >>

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER
NEVER give people more information than they really need. Particularly when that info is SS cards or other official doc's (or copies thereof). You may have a specific purpose when you mail in this manner of doc's, but you have ZERO control over what actually becomes of any copies you send in.
A copy of your SS card and marriage license DEFINITELY is way too much info. I can't think on anyone I'm not employed by who needs to see my SS card and still fewer who need to see my marriage license. Just attach a copy of your letter and Lowe's reply and sign a third letter with your maiden name that explains the situation.
On another note, the guy who replied to your letter is obviously kind of A/R, but hey, that's exactly the guy you WANT managing your accounts. I'd be more inclined to write him a thank you card for being being on watch over your account. I'd maybe even sign it using my "strapping young lad" name, as per Lowe's request, and my married name.

I don't send anything out without blocking info - it looks like a federal FOI document after I get through with it.

Two things. Here in New Zealand, and the rest of the commonwealth, we would sign the letter:

First, Married Last nee Single Last

Don't Americans use 'nee'?

Secondly, as annoying as something like this is (I was delayed in customs for two hours because of a transposed character in my 9 letter polish surname) it can actually catch frauds. Something as simple as this can often be used to redirect credit card bills, passport delivery etc.

Cheers

Koz
No. of Recommendations: 2
Don't Americans use 'nee'?

nz

Are you kidding???

Use that and a large part of the population would think you were misspelling the leg joint and a lot of the rest would figure that you were talking about the joint and the spelling was correct.

Present company excepted

herb
Advertisement