Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm afraid this is a pipedream. U.S. citizens must pay tax on their worldwide income, even if they live overseas -- with a very specific exception for a limited amount of foreign earned income. If you trade stocks overseas you pay tax just as if you traded right here. And you're required to provide information about foreign accounts on your federal income tax return (look at the bottom of Schedule B). I'd be willing to bet there's a website somewhere telling you that you can avoid taxes this way, but if you buy that advice you might as well buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

Kaye Thomas, author
Fairmark Press Tax Guide for Investors
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.