UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56851  
Subject: Re: As heard and seen in weather news Date: 5/6/2013 11:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 23
I'm amused that those concerned about global warming have world wide conferences on the subject, with thousands of people jetting about the world on expense accounts to talk about thew issue. Hypocrites!

Like so many topics related to energy consumption and conservation, people are almost always willing to strike out against things they don't do and don't want to do. They want to make everybody live like them. . . They will give up travel (which they don't do and don't want to do) if everyone else does. And pronounce anyone who isn't willing to do that as a hypocrite.

The truth of the matter is that some people don't like to be reminded that other cultures and people who are different than them exist. They hate and fear people who are different. Avoid travel and make everyone else avoid travel and they can embrace their fear and hatred of others more easily. Others don't like to travel because they want to be the center of attention or the "smartest guy in the room". Travel has a way of making you smaller and they don't like the feeling. So . . . avoid travel and make everyone else avoid travel so they can live in their sheltered world.

I guess we could all play that game. I walk or ride my bicycle to the grocery store. Anyone who drives to do that and talks about energy conservation is a hypocrite. I never ride in boats. Anyone who does clearly doesn't care about the environment. My car gets over 40 mpg and I never drive it unless I can take care of 3 or more errands in one trip. People who drive cars that get less mileage or don't plot a route to minimize mileage before they leave are energy pigs. All of the lighting in my house is cfls. Anyone who uses any incandescent lights is a hypocrite. I use almost no heating energy for my house at all, even in Winter. People who burn heating oil or gas obviously doesn't care about the environment. I do volunteer work to evaluate and improve professional publication and collaboration of engineers in the Power and Energy industry. I don't see how anyone who isn't doing that can consider themselves environmentally. . .

It's really pretty easy to be an ill-informed, self-righteous, condescending jerk.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement