UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (46) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734925  
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 11:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
I'm baaaaaccck.......from another adventure.....

Just back from 3 weeks in Galeno's Costa Rica. Let's see....what happened there?

One taxi driver tried to rip off friend, saying meter which said 1000 was $10.00 US, when it was 1000 colones, or $3. Hmmm...

Another taxi driver had the meter go to 600 colones, and then turned off the meter in front of me, and tried to charge me $15 for a 2 mile trip. He got his $1.80 and not a penny more......bunch of crooks out to rip off visitors...... widespread.......

And of course bars and big fences everywhere.....little fortresses every 50 feet going down the street......in all the towns and villages....

The nice taxi drivers will clean you out.... everyone else is great, nice, friendly, and honest, it seems....just don't leave anything not locked up, or it will be gone.....

BUt I didn't go there for that - I went there to visit the world's largest unihabited island, the place that inspired Robert Lewis STevenson's Treasure Island....and where scenes in Jurassic Park where filmed......bet Galeno hasn't been there.....

Spent 2 absolulely fascinating weeks on Cocos Island, without a newpaper, TV, or broadcast radio......busy as heck having the adventure of my life with 13 other team members......375 miles from anywhere.....tropical rainforest jungle island.......see telegraph's great adventure at www.qsl.net/ti9m/ if you have some free time. If you want a thrill ride, try going on a Zodiac boat....wow!.....what a way to get to and from 'work'.

I was wondering if I was ever going to get as involved in something as I had at work...which at times had been very satisfying when projects finally came to fruition after months and months of really hard work.....Well, this was the answer - one of the highlights of my life and an adventure never to be forgotten.......

And then back to the board...which hasn't changed a whole lot in a month.....

Yep, sounds like Galeno would have joined the draft dodgers heading north in 1960s...... my impression of his being a 'peacenik'...give the enemy (terrorists) anything they want as long as they don't blow up Costa Rica and his house..... sorry, I don't buy that, and I'll support the war against the Saddams and Mullahs who fully intend to do harm to us..... you can barely find a newspaper to read in C.R., so I guess they don't have to worry about freedom of press...and their TVis mainly satellite TV stations brought in from everywhere else.....CNN, MSNBC, ABC, Fox, BBC, Germany.....

Not much else seen to get excited about on the board.....

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (46) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement