UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (124) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Re: Talk me out of a Financial Advisor Date: 6/3/2013 7:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I'm curious, how many here who are highly critical of financial advisors have actually used a financial advisor? If not, where did you form your negative opinion?

My mother-in-law's financial advisor has done a poor job managing her money. She has an annuity (as discussed previously, aren't good for most people) and some expensive and under performing Franklin Funds. She's retired, but has no clear idea how much she can safely withdraw. She got hooked up with her FA years and years ago, and loved him until she retired and started needing money. Now she's sort of realizing there isn't really a plan, and she's a bit confused as to what to do and a bit embarrassed that she doesn't know. Isn't getting from point A to point B what you pay an FA for? I'm wondering what this guy was doing all these years beside cashing his commission checks.

That said, she's undoubtedly better off having had an FA. She and her husband never had good paying jobs, they were thrifty and saved hard. But I'm certain they never would have gone off and bought mutual funds and invested on their own. They needed someone to do that for them. So having mutual funds for a couple decades, even bad funds, translated to more money than they ever thought they would have. That result was good.

But as RayVT showed pretty conclusively, something as small as an extra 1% drag on your portfolio absolutely murders your returns over time. It is shocking how much money it winds up costing. The FA has to give you stellar advice to over come that.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (124) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement