Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Re: Master Limited Partnerships Date: 8/27/2012 10:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I'm doing some reading about MLPs, and I have a couple of tax-related questions. First, is it true that the sale of an MLP will trigger a lot of recapturing (and therefore taxes), especially if the MLP has been held for a long time? Is this equally so whether the MLP has been held in an investment vehicle such as a TIRA or a Roth or a taxable account?

It all depends on the specific MLP, its business, and how all of the accumulated income/expense items have been treated during the period of ownership. A sale within an IRA (any flavor) will be simpler because you don't need to keep track of all of these items.

I see different people recommending different things about putting MLPs in an IRA of any kind; some say that's a good place for them; some say not. Is one of these views the right one -- or could different investors do well either way?

I don't think there is a "one size fits all" answer.

And, if there is this problem about recapturing, suppose I just keep the MLP until I die, using it for income in retirement, and then let it pass to my heirs. Would they get a step-up in basis and be able to turn around and sell it immediately, thus avoiding any recapturing (and tax) problems? If this is my plan, would that help to pinpoint what kind of account would be best (TIRA, Roth or taxable)?

While they would get a step-up in basis, they wouldn't avoid the problems because each day of ownership generates a small amount of every tax-related item on the K-1. Since the estate can't sell on the date of death (since there is no one legally authorized to act on behalf of the estate until the will is probated, or in the case of TOD accounts a certified death certificate is produced), there will always be some level of adjustment required.

I haven't researched the following statement so it may be wrong. There is the risk that they could lose the benefit of accumulated losses which would vanish upon death.

The answer to all of your questions would best be provided by a consultation with a professional tax advisor who could review the entirety of your tax situation.

Ira
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement