UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190319  
Subject: Re: Best Buy illegal tactics? Date: 12/6/2012 6:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I'm empathetic to your rage over crap service like this but on this one point "It would have had to occur with the tv off. And it would take a major surge like a lightning bolt to jump past the on-circuit when the tv is off" you're wrong. FYI the set's on/off control is not the knife switch of decades long past. A modern TV (meaning of the past 20 or more years) is always connected to the mains unless you break all paths of circuit externally (pull the cords & cables). And then you still could get an EFT (electrical fast transient or surge) through other paths like the CATV copper or come other connection of something IF (big if) it got hit....and it doesn't have to be lightning to be an issue. Most electronics have at least some amount of surge suppression as a requirement of being UL/ETL certified. That the numb-nuts at he Best Buy make presumptions about such causality on a system exhibiting such a weird failure is a bad joke.

So on or off by the set's control it's still on and is why the remote can also turn on the set fully.

"And so now, I feel that they've effectively intimidated and coerced me into being so afraid not to buy their extra insurance even for initial warranty to be effective, that I may be done with BB. And maybe add another B to that, and go to the BBB to see what they have to say about it."

If your time is worth anything move on to a company with better customer support.

FWIW I just bought a Samsung 55" from Amazon because of my long satisfaction with their customer support and return policies. For another 8% I got a 4 year warranty and I found that a fair trade since I've repaired more flat panel power supplies in the past than I want to in the future (they tend to be under designed IMO a product design EE).
I'd rather buy without salespeople involved anyway....your mileage & sales support needs may vary.
B
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement