UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: BruceCM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77724  
Subject: Re: CWH Earnings and much more.. Date: 2/27/2013 7:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I'm freewheeling here, with zippo experience in how a situation like this would flow out, but....

The provision of the REIT Act that requires that 5 or fewer shareholders cannot hold, directly or indirectly, a majority of company stock....only applies to the latter half of a given year. I've always wondered why it was written this way, but I'm wondering was, back in 1960, designed that way for conditions such as this. That is, could a single shareholder (in this case, a hedge fund) buy up 51% of the shares, fire the board and managers, install new management and board and then sell shares back down to 9.8%, all within the first 6 months of the year?

Of course, what complicates this are the abovementioned poison pill(s), debt covenents with change of ownership and perhaps the managers could file suit for some kind of court stay-order due to some sort of reason RMR could come up with that would delay the process well past the initial 6 month period.

I'm just curious, as I have no intention of holding anything managed by RMR.

But if there isn't any practical and workable solution to this kind of arrangement, I would think NAREIT, SNL, Green Street or others with a large stake in exchange traded REITs would work to lobby Congress for the next ammendment to the act to prevent...or make very difficult...the forming of this kind of management arrangement, as it would seem to threaten the longer term health of REITs as investment and income vehicles for individuals and institutions.

An opinion from Ralph or Yoda might be good here.

BruceM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Related Boards
Real Estate Investing
This is a great board for Real Estate other than REITs.

Buying & Selling a Home
Get your personal advice about mortgages, agents, etc. here.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement