Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 135711 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5655  
Subject: i'm glad the bore port is closing... Date: 11/6/2000 6:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 33
Actually, i'm happy that the Bore port is closing. Allow me to explain...

If there were never a bore port, it would likely have taken me much longer to discover what real investing was all about. I can remember the day i discovered the port, about two years ago.

I had been trying to find my legs with this investing stuff, reading just about everything i could get my hands on, including Fool content. At the time, the standard column in the Rule Breaker port went something like this: "Hey, look, we're up another 5% today. But that really doesn't matter. We're looking forward to the day a few years from now when everybody uses AOL and buys everything from Amazon." Maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but that was the gist of it.

I guess i got "bored" reading this every day, so i decided to check out what this boring port thing was all about. What an awful name! Maybe the guys running it just have a sense of humor...

I read Dale Wettlaufer's column nightly for a few weeks. I began to realize that this guy didn't seem to rely on the nebulous concepts and heuristics that many others seem to favor. I thought, "FINALLY, i think i may have found a rational, consistent investing style." (That is not to say that it is an exact science, but it is a damn sight closer to it than what others practice.)

Long story short, I have spent the better part of the last year and a half learning about what most folks call "value" investing. I discovered that there are really only about 5 investment books a person needs to read. I also discovered that investing is really simple, which is not the same thing as easy.

Unfortunately, the more people practicing "value" investing in the market, the harder it becomes to realize superior returns. In the introduction (or maybe the Appendix) to Graham's "The Intelligent Investor", Buffett says that in spite of the fact that he, Graham, and others have been preaching good investing sense for (now) 65 years, relatively few people have taken it up. He thus felt that his strategy was safe, since so many people insisted on remaining ignorant.

I am not confident this situation will endure. Whatever you think about the internet, it is very good at one thing in particular: making a world information available to everyone, anytime. You don't have to spend $30 on a book or two. You don't have to call up Berkshire Hathaway and have them send you all the annual reports. With some time and a computer anyone with half a brain can learn what investing should be about.

Like i said, in theory this decreases the likelihood of anyone (read: me) achieving better-than-average returns. If one of the most popular investment sites discontinues its "value" port, this is all to the good, as far as i am concerned.

Now, how about getting rid of that Drip port? They often write things that make a lot of sense, and even sometimes value companies i'm considering. It really cramps my style when they do that.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement