Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55905  
Subject: Re: Cranberry Recipes Date: 10/23/2012 10:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm gluten intolerant, not celiac.

I believe this describes me as well Sheila. I never seemed to have issues with say, a sandwich made with regular bread, but Lord Almighty-- anything with added gluten (primarily vegetarian meat substitutes) I had a noticeable reaction--headaches in particular. I finally traced it to the gluten in these products when I had a severe reaction to homemade seitan (which is vital wheat gluten + water and a small amount of seasoning--so basically pure gluten). The episode prompted me to compare all those foods where I developed headaches after eating (I was hoping it was just a coincidence) and every single one had gluten listed as one of the primary ingredients (boca burgers and smart dogs would give me headaches, but gardenburgers and tofu pups did not--comparing them, the ones that triggered headaches were the ones with gluten as a main ingredient--so mystery solved). Notably, the buns did not seem to have an adverse effect--so that's why I think I am merely gluten sensitive/intolerant vs a full-blown celiac.

Sorry for the ramble. I just never came across anyone who didn't have a binary attitude towards it. I am pleasantly surprised to find someone else feels as I do. (I will be having some of my cousin's incredible pumpkin pie, btw--maybe eat the entire crust).

That said, I do avoid gluten as much as possible because of the aversion I developed to it from the seitan episode. Better Batter gluten-free flour is a wonderful substitute for regular flour. It has xanthan gum already in it. A 5-lb bag lasts forever (you can order it directly from the betterbatter.org site for $25 including s&h--it's $20 plus $5 shipping--and sometimes there is a free shipping offer. Vitacost and glutenfreemall.com carry it too). If you want to make a graham cracker crust for the cheesecake--Kinnikinnick's gluten-free Graham-Style Cracker Crumbs (available at some brick-and-mortar stores as well as online) taste exactly like regular graham cracker crumbs. I always keep both these products in my pantry.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement