UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726166  
Subject: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm ridiculously excited over ordering two tickets to a college hockey game at Yost Arena for 11/22 (UofM vs. Niagara). The only reason I did is because it's a one-day Columbus Day sale where you can get each ticket for $14.92 (get it?) instead of the usual $25. So, two tickets for under $30! I did Will Call as it's far easier than getting the tickets then losing/forgetting them (not that going back home would be a huge hassle, but it would be a hassle!)

I'm taking my son of course. I'd take my wife but she gets too cold then insists we leave early... if my son does that I can tell him to buck up and we aren't leaving but I can't do that with the wife of course (there WOULD be painful repercussions!) so I figure some father-son bonding is a better idea. If she's upset I'll get her a hat, she'll love it and all will be forgiven (in theory). Alright, I should have asked her first, but I must love living dangerously!

Anyhow, I don't care, I'm going to a hockey game! It's been WAY too long since I have (basically because I'm trying to save money). They are certainly terrible seats but who cares, they're in the building and close to the restrooms (I'm well acquainted with the layout as I used to work as many games as I could when I was on the road and able to do so). I can overpay for some popcorn and a pop for the kid, say "hi!" to my co-workers at the game and hear the greatest hockey pep band in all the land!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701188 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 2:22 PM
Recommendations: 0
Good for you guys. It'l be a good time.

Seats don't matter. One of my fondest memories is hockey games with my Dad and those seats were way high up there.

JediG

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701214 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 4:35 PM
"Anyhow, I don't care, I'm going to a hockey game! It's been WAY too long since I have (basically because I'm trying to save money)."

40+ years ago, when I was a single dude, I took my old girlfriend, the farmer's daughter, to a hockey game in Atlanta, Georgia. I remember it as being a good date. We had fun.

That is all.

Art

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701215 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 4:40 PM
40+ years ago, when I was a single dude, I took my old girlfriend, the farmer's daughter, to a hockey game in Atlanta, Georgia. I remember it as being a good date. We had fun.
----------------------------------------------------
Atlanta Flames?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Flames

The Atlanta Flames were a professional ice hockey team based in Atlanta, Georgia, USA from 1972 until 1980. They were members of the West and later Patrick divisions of the National Hockey League (NHL). The team was created as part of the NHL's conflict with the rival World Hockey Association (WHA) in a bid to keep the latter league out of the Omni Coliseum.[citation needed] The team enjoyed modest success on the ice, qualifying for the post-season in six of its eight seasons, but failed to win a playoff series. Off the ice, the franchise struggled to draw fans and, after averaging only 10,000 per game in 1979–80, was sold and relocated to Canada to become the Calgary Flames.

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701220 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 5:03 PM
I took my old girlfriend, the farmer's daughter, to a hockey game in Atlanta, Georgia. I remember it as being a good date. We had fun.

That is all.

Any duality and separation?

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701223 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 5:07 PM
That is all.

Any duality and separation?

Well there was that separation of two teeth while he tried to explain the game was all about stick control.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701243 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 6:34 PM
I'm going to a hockey game!

Jealous. I haven't been to one since our minor league team folded over 2 seasons ago. Sad irony, win the championship, bring home the cup, fold up tent.

JLC

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701256 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 7:56 PM
The Atlanta area now goes to the Gwinnett Gladiators of the
ECHL for their hockey.

Howie52
While the team is inferior to the Greenville Road Warriors, the folks
down I-85 just have to make due with what they have.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701270 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 8:59 PM
2828 questions, " Atlanta Flames? The Atlanta Flames were a professional ice hockey team based in Atlanta, Georgia, USA from 1972 until 1980."

To be honest I don't remember the name of the team. I'm pretty sure it was an Atlanta Hockey team but I was too focused on the long blond haired farmer's daughter sitting next to me to care too much. I had other things on my mind.

Way back then she looked sort of like Jennifer Anniston.... not so much now. Now she's tall and skinny and old and married to Joe a real estate lawyer in Atlanta. My wife is still friends with her and we see them from time to time. They visited here not too long ago.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701271 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 9:06 PM
"Any duality and separation?" - wolverine

When is there not duality and separation involved in the dealings between men and women? Later on we broke up and then three weeks later I started dating my wife. It didn't take me long to get over her.

Seriously Margaret was my rebound girl. She was in-between Suzanne who I was in love with and Bonnie the girl who when I saw her I thought she was the cutest girl I'd ever seen in my life. Margaret was a place holder. She kept me there while I was waiting for Bonnie to appear. Margaret did okay. She married a guy who later on went to law school and became a lawyer.

Suzanne and I dated off and on for a couple of years. I told her I loved her and she wrote me a letter from Nashville telling me that she didn't miss me when I wasn't there. I took the hint and just started dating other girls. Which is the best way to get over a broken heart.

What is strange is that later on I ended up living in Tennessee and now my wife works just a mile and half from Lipscomb University where Suzanne went to college. So now I live near Nashville and Suzanne is married to some guy and they own a manufacturing business that makes roofing materials.

Life is strange.

Art

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701288 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 10:43 PM
Later on we broke up and then three weeks later I started dating my wife. It didn't take me long to get over her.

The easiest way to get over someone is to get under someone else as soon as possible.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701292 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 11:23 PM
Jealous. I haven't been to one since our minor league team folded over 2 seasons ago.

Growing up in Hockeytown (fun fact: St. Clair Shores used that slogan before ever Detroit did) I was always a fan of the game but, alas, never learned to skate (my mom preferred I keep my teeth). My cousin is always selling Red Wings tickets for a song but even then they're twice what Michigan tickets go for retail and after parking and concessions I'd be out hundreds of bucks easily. College hockey is practically free in comparison, and I could literally walk there if I wanted to from my apartment (less than three miles away). So going to a Michigan game every now and then is easy enough, thankfully!

Author: LordFoolman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 701294 of 726166
Subject: Re: I'm going to a hockey game! Date: 10/14/2013 11:42 PM
Several years ago in Dallas in our firm (about 1500 working in the DFW district), we would get periodic emails from our ticket coordinator. She (her name was Carla) would handle all the client promotional events. Often the firms hotshot partners would take big clients to games.....Dallas Cowboys, TX Rangers and the Dallas Stars (hockey). However, tickets often went unused. And in her emails that was mass sent to everyone throughout the city, you had to answer trivia questions about the teams the tickets were for. First ones with the correct answer got the tickets for that night. You were competing against 1500 other people who got emails as well. The odds were stacked against you.

One week, instead of being at a client site, I was working in the downtown home office. And out of the blue, I get an email from Carla that asked me if I wanted the Dallas Stars tickets for that night (email was sent around 2-3 PM for a 7 PM game). I was like of course!! Not sure how she knew I was at the home office. They were suite tickets for two with a pre-game buffet...and this was gourmet buffet..incredibly nice on the suite level. AAC (American Airline Center) is pretty nice.

So I worked at the home office for several months, just happen to do so. So for about 8-10 months, every few weeks or so, I'd get a pair of tickets with a free gourmet buffet. The only downside was that I would be notified of the free tickets usually around 2-3 PM the day of the game (but I lived nearby). I'd often take my buddies or girls I was dating at the time.

I'm not the biggest hockey fan, but it was good times going to big city sporting events for free with a nice free meal.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement