Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm going to jump in a little late . . .

If you don't designate what tax year your contribution is for, then it is considered to be made for the current tax year. I.e., if you make a contribution now and "meant" for it to be for tax year 1999 but failed to designate it, then your custodian will put it in as for tax year 2000 (since you didn't designate which tax year, it is considered to be made in the current tax year).

It kinda pertain to tracking the Roth because if you don't verify with your custodian the contribution is for the correct year, the IRS will send you some nasty letter, usually too late for you to repair . . .
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.