UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66273  
Subject: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/26/2007 9:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This past weekend, I was going to update my generic, cheap MP3 player's contents, since I had just recently received and ripped my latest CD purchase of Finnish Symphonic Metal music (http://www.amazon.com/Highest-Hopes-Best-Nightwish/dp/B000ANHGHC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/102-5153874-7918518?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1174912936&sr=8-4 ) using iTunes.

My generic player had been full of Angry German Pop Metal ("stomp-grrrr") music (http://www.amazon.com/Glaubeliebetod-Oomph/dp/B000ELL1KI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-5153874-7918518?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1174913470&sr=1-2)
and Angry German Techno Metal ("stomp-grrrr-beep") music (http://www.amazon.com/Reise-Rammstein/dp/B0002XDODU/ref=sr_1_4/102-5153874-7918518?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1174913402&sr=1-4).

I hadn't done anything with iTunes since before I bought the Mac Mini, mostly because I was happy listening to my set of Angry German Music for a long time.

But it appears that in iTunes, there's not an easy way to simply send the tunes to my generic MP3 player as it just behaves like another volume, but iTunes expects an iPod or one of a very short supported list of devices that impersonate an iPod.

So I'm gonna get an iPod Shuffle. Not being content to pay Apple's or anyone else's full price, I've gone to Amazon and found a refurb'd unit for $65 (plus $4 to ship), plus the AC adapter and the car power adapter. (I still have my Belkin FM transmitter, so I'll keep using that.)

So I'll be letting you know how this works for me, as opposed to what I was doing months ago with Windows and my generic MP3 player. I may figure out this Apple cult thingy yet.

Duck
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BeenFooled Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37626 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/26/2007 9:49 AM
Recommendations: 24
"I may figure out this Apple cult thingy yet."

Excuse me, but due to the recent rise in mainstream popularity, Apple is now referred to as a 'religion', no longer a 'cult'.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/24/technology/24online.html?ex=1332388800&en=80cd4755d0b6da39&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Thank you.
BF

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37627 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/26/2007 12:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
So I'm gonna get an iPod Shuffle. Not being content to pay Apple's or anyone else's full price, I've gone to Amazon and found a refurb'd unit for $65 (plus $4 to ship), plus the AC adapter and the car power adapter. (I still have my Belkin FM transmitter, so I'll keep using that.)

FWIW, Apple has their own refurb store: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=32DAAC51&nclm=Certified

They currently have a 2nd generation shuffle for $49 and I've seen 1st generation shuffles for $39, though that doesn't include the extras you are getting.

-murray

Author: FoolBalance Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37631 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/26/2007 6:46 PM
The mac will treat an iPod as a jump drive. What I don't know is that if you move music files over to is in that mode if the iPod will treat them as music files to play or just as raw data on the drive to be taken to another computer. I believe it is the latter rather than the former.

Paul

Author: FoolBalance Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37632 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/26/2007 6:47 PM
It is possible that when you connect your 'cheap' MP3 player to your Mac, you can convince it to treat it as an external drive. If so, you can move music files directly to it via normal file copying methods. What then matters is if your 'cheap' MP3 player will treat those files as music files to play.

You may need third party software to facilitate the Mac treating the 'cheap' MP3 player as an external drive.

Paul

Author: JohnMMM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37633 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/26/2007 8:33 PM
Recommendations: 2
when you connect your 'cheap' MP3 player to your Mac, you can convince it to treat it as an external drive.

That's right. I do it all the time.

You may need third party software to facilitate the Mac treating the 'cheap' MP3 player as an external drive.

Not in my experience. The MP3 player shows up immediately in Finder as another drive. You can copy/move files at will.

John

Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37634 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/26/2007 11:29 PM
It is possible that when you connect your 'cheap' MP3 player to your Mac, you can convince it to treat it as an external drive. If so, you can move music files directly to it via normal file copying methods. What then matters is if your 'cheap' MP3 player will treat those files as music files to play.

No, it IS already treating the MP3 player as an external drive. However, iTunes doesn't want to play with it at all. So I lose the functionality of creating playlists and fun things to do with iTunes. I can rip CD's, but then I have to go out of iTunes to wherever I rip the music to and do the file copying. Now that just does standard copying of files, and for me to make any kind of subset like a playlist, I'd have to manually make directories or do some other scheme.

However, I can afford to play with a Shuffle for now and enjoy the convenience of iTunes, plus the shuffle feature of the Shuffle, which the MP3 player I have does NOT have.

Duck

Author: FoolBalance Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37635 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/27/2007 12:03 AM

No, it IS already treating the MP3 player as an external drive. However, iTunes doesn't want to play with it at all. So I lose the functionality of creating playlists and fun things to do with iTunes. I can rip CD's, but then I have to go out of iTunes to wherever I rip the music to and do the file copying. Now that just does standard copying of files, and for me to make any kind of subset like a playlist, I'd have to manually make directories or do some other scheme.

You are thinking about this all wrong. You are thinking that any old MP3 player should be treated by iTunes equal to an iPod. That ain't the way it is.

However, you can have the music on your Mac put on your MP3 player just like you did in good old Windows days: You copy the MP3 files using the finder from the computer to the MP3 player with it connected as an external drive.

voila!

MP3s from your mac on your MP3 player.

Done.

Paul

Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37636 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/27/2007 12:26 AM

However, you can have the music on your Mac put on your MP3 player just like you did in good old Windows days: You copy the MP3 files using the finder from the computer to the MP3 player with it connected as an external drive.

No, no, no, I KNOW I can do it that way. I'd just like to keep up with the times and have it done much easier with iTunes. It's not a matter of knowing how to do this by finding and manually copying to my current player, but I'd like to take advantage of the convenience of the iTunes/iPod setup.

It's just convenience, that's all. Not a big deal.

Sorry to confuse ya.

Duck

Author: BeenFooled Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37637 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/27/2007 12:57 AM
"I'd like to take advantage of the convenience of the iTunes/iPod setup."

You can't.

It's an iTunes/iPod setup. That's the business model.

Want convenience of setup = buy our stuff.
Wanna just do your own thing on your own MP3 = do what the man said, but no playlists, no album art, no "convenience", no premium price.

Can't have it both ways. You are trying to inject viruses into the ecosystem. Or something.

BF

Author: DuckyDuck Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37639 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/27/2007 7:38 AM
Recommendations: 8

It's an iTunes/iPod setup. That's the business model.

I know! I'M AGREEING WITH YOU! So I'm going to get an iPod, finally, and take advantage of the all the features that an iTunes/iPod setup does.

I. AM. GOING. TO. STOP. USING. MY. MP3. PLAYER. AND. USE. AN. IPOD.

Got it??!?!

Duck

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37641 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/27/2007 8:42 AM

Why don't you just get an iPod?!?

Just kidding :) Some people are a bit slow sometimes, I understood your first post.

Enjoy your shuffle!

-murray

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37642 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/27/2007 11:51 AM
If so, you can move music files directly to it via normal file copying methods.

And they need to be in a format the cheap MP3 player can read e.g. not an Apple-proprietary format.

Author: FoolBalance Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37643 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/27/2007 1:31 PM

Then. Stop. Complaining. About. It.

Paul

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37644 of 66273
Subject: Re: I'm gonna do it! Date: 3/27/2007 2:17 PM
You are thinking that any old MP3 player should be treated by iTunes equal to an iPod.

The Mac version of iTunes lists compatibility with roughly two-dozen 3rd party players.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93548

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement