Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LucyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121947  
Subject: Re: I need some tips...... Date: 2/12/2004 12:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm guessing your girl has a busted ACL, correct? Is she having TPLO surgery where they cut and rotate the lower leg bone to stablize the knee or a different surgery that puts a substitute ACL in the knee?

Any case, here's a TPLO site, good tricks for keeping the animals entertained during recouperation of any knee surgery

96hokies,
Thank you SO MUCH for your prompt reply. The link to Laurie Bryce is great and your experiences and suggestions have made me feel much better.

This is what the Doc told me: "This injury, to the right knee, is a Cruciate Ligament Rupture. The surgeon will clean out the knee area of damaged ligaments, scar tissue, etc then replace the ligaments with a surgical material which will secure/stabilize the joint. The wound will then be closed w/staples or stitches, bandaged and a collar will be provided. Honey will also have antibiotics and pain medication to take home. She'll be in the hospital from Friday a.m. to Saturday afternoon. She will need to be restricted for 1 to 2 weeks, possibly caged or closed in a room. Exercise will have to be curtailed for 6 to 8 weeks. Staples/stitches will be removed after 2 weeks."

Honey has been "sick" since the Friday before Christmas....lethargic, not eating, etc. Good days and bad days. The Vet couldn't find anything wrong with her except her left hip dysplasia (not new) and the damaged right knee (new) (they did a physical exam, blood panel, x-rays, and ultrasound of her abdomen). They assumed her "illness" was from pain, put her on anti-inflamatory/pain meds and muscle relaxers and sent her home. So, at this point she was taking Thyroid meds, Chondroitin/Glucosomine, Phenylpropanilomine and now the Deramaxx (pain/anti-inflamatory)and Robaxin (muscle relaxer). 17 days later I bathed her with flea shampoo and medicated shampoo. The next day (18 days after the two new meds were added) she had a cluster of 5 Grand Mal seizures within a period of 23 hours. She spent the night in the hospital. Docs took her off of the muscle relaxer, put her on Phenobarbitol and Potassium Bromide and wanted to wait until we were sure the seizures were not going to return before doing the surgery on her knee, but she's become very lame trying to compensate for her right knee with her bad-hip left knee, so the surgery was scheduled sooner than planned.

Sorry about this tome, but you folks are so generous with your information and expertise that I'm sharing this with you in case you may have had a similar experience, hopefully, with good results.
Thank you,
Lucy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement