Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: hotwheels71 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 105  
Subject: Re: XTO Date: 7/9/2007 1:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm having trouble forking over the extra two bucks a share at this point

I have no idea if XTO will pull back to 55, but my question is, does it matter? Based on your valuation, or your expectations for the stock over the term that you intend to own it, does the expected return justify putting your money here, or can you get better returns elsewhere? The longer your time horizon, the less likely XTO will pull back to some arbitrary amount (because it's most probably headed upward), and the longer your time horizon the less the two-dollar difference matters.

In the short term, the market is volatile and unpredictable, and I guess your question would be an important one if your timing or trading. But in the long term, the market is always headed up, and the half of a percentage point difference between $55 and $58 is nominal and probably irrelevant for a longer-term investment.

I agree that two bucks is two bucks, and better to save them then spend them, but if you believe in the future of this stock and find its expected returns worthwhile at $58.50, then go for it, and don't sweat the two bucks. Value a stock based on where it's going, not where it's been.

Just my 2 cents. (so that makes $2.02, right? :-)

-- hotwheels71
(no position in XTO)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement