UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dirkn Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: I'm in! Date: 1/30/2001 8:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Hello all,

I've spent a few months over at the Retire Early board and want to say that I welcome the opportunity to try another board. The RE page has gotten a little busy lately as well as political. There are a couple of posters in particular who like to push their own agenda and then become condescending when you disagree with them. Hey, I'm looking for a more relaxed lifestyle – I don't need that.

Anyway, my dream involves a home at the ocean, a home in the high country, and (now for the hard part) an income producing activity that I enjoy and can do from my home on a part time basis. Ever since I started working I have dreamed of retirement. Now, I know that it is really financial independence and happiness I want, not just to retire and do nothing.

So, I'm 47. I've been working towards retirement since high school, and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I hope to pick up a few ideas from all of you and perhaps even contribute some too.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51 of 381
Subject: Re: I'm in! Date: 1/30/2001 8:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Dirkn:

Welcome aboard to our little thread. First, let me congratulate you on the Ravens win. As a Steelers fan I naturally hate you.

You said, "Now, I know that it is really financial independence and happiness I want, not just to retire and do nothing," to which I say AMEN.

So tell me, hard part out of the way first, any leads on that part time income producting activity? I notice you are an engineer - do you want out of that field altogether?

Nice to meet you.

-Gekko II

Author: dirkn Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53 of 381
Subject: Re: I'm in! Date: 1/30/2001 9:24 AM
Hi Gekko,

Thanks for the congrats. Yeah, those Ravens were awesome this year. And we never really saw it coming until late in the season. By the way, my wife is from the Pittsburgh area, so we have some sympathy for the Steelers too.

“So tell me, hard part out of the way first, any leads on that part time income producing activity? I notice you are an engineer - do you want out of that field altogether?”

Yes, I think I'll be out of engineering. It's too much like work. I've always loved transportation devices. Trains, planes and automobiles. I started out as an auto mechanic, tried to work for the city as a traffic engineer (didn't get hired). Air traffic controller is one career that I sometimes think I might have enjoyed. Of course the perfect opportunity for that was after Reagan fired them all in, what 1981?

I have strong curiosity about computers and networking and the internet and all that. Have started taking a few classes in that area. Perhaps that will be something I can develop.

Of course I like to travel and explore all the under-populated areas of the country (I'm not a big fan of congestion) but I haven't a clue how to make any money from that!

Dirk

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54 of 381
Subject: Re: I'm in! Date: 1/30/2001 9:36 AM
Anyway, my dream involves a home at the ocean, a home in the high country, and (now for the hard part) an income producing activity that I enjoy and can do from my home on a part time basis.

How about the Outer Banks and the High Country or Blue Ridge? You can work part-time out of home office from either or both places.

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55 of 381
Subject: Re: I'm in! Date: 1/30/2001 9:49 AM
Recommendations: 0
Dirkn:

Here is a link to a recent BCentral article on home-based business...

http://www.bcentral.com/articles/enbysk/103.asp

-Gekko II

Author: nmckay Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57 of 381
Subject: Re: I'm in! Date: 1/30/2001 2:01 PM
Recommendations: 2
Great board, all. I've only seen Jimmy once but I hope I can still participate. I make excellent margaritas.

DW and I have spent the last 3 months mapping out our retirement. The result is "The Santa Fe Project" (you need a cool name for your plan, imo). The way it works is that we work in NYC for eight more years on the LBYM plan (surprisingly simple in NYC). At that point we 1.) Leave for NM and take up a less stressful job for eight more years or 2.)Stay in NYC for another four and then go to NM. Meanwhile every other year and later every year we spend a week in NM checking out the place as potential residents. We also will scratch off other contenders such as Colorado Springs, CO; Knoxville, TN and Asheville, NC (we might have to rename the plan!). Once there, I'm going to be a house architect and do one or two a year max (about 15 hours a week). DW may open a wine shop or a gallery or just be an artist.

I'm enjoying reading about others plans. Especially folks who are getting close. Keep writing, and best of luck.

nmckay

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58 of 381
Subject: Re: I'm in! Date: 1/30/2001 2:32 PM
Great having you,

so pass along your margarita recipe!

Thirsty In New England

Author: mrhowell Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59 of 381
Subject: Re: I'm in! Date: 1/30/2001 3:10 PM
Recommendations: 2
(now for the hard part) an income producing activity that I enjoy and can do from my home on a part time basis. Ever since I started working I have dreamed of retirement. Now, I know that it is really financial independence and happiness I want, not just to retire and do nothing.

So, I'm 47. I've been working towards retirement since high school, and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I hope to pick up a few ideas from all of you and perhaps even contribute some too.
More power to ya! I am in the same boat. (Except you can insert 43 for 47) I retired at 38. While I have made 2 forays into the post-retirement work world I have found that I just can't make a go of it. Slight disabilty and it's concomitant discomfort has played it's part. However, I found that a big money job couldn't keep me and a less stressful lower paying job also got old very fast. (I have found that people that think like me/us "RE Types" are very rare and those who dont think like us ...I don't know... they seem foreign to me and I guess I seem very foreign to them. So I am always sort of like an "Alian" of some kind.)

A small, low level, even fairly low paying but not too taxing "do it myself" kind of income producing activity is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. Any and all tips, suggestions, hints of any kind will be happily entertained.

I have also been planning retirement since at least high school. Saw too many grown-ups work too hard for too little when I was growing up to ever want any part of that noise... However, I too, still don't know wnbhat I want to be when I grow up. (except I always wanted to be an opera singer but that sort of out of the picture now)

Author: mphela Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60 of 381
Subject: Re: I'm in! Date: 1/30/2001 3:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm 27, currently working as a software engineer in Denver, so all of these ski bum stories are making me jealous. It's on my list of things to do once in this life. Anyway, I've been lurking on the RE board for a while, and I decided to finally sign up. I like the concept of this board, and although I've never been to a Buffett concert, YET, this is definitely my type of crowd.

I've been in the working world for over 5 years now. I'm currently on my 3rd job, and I was laid off from both of my previous jobs. I got the taste of "retirement" spending 6 months unemployed between jobs. Now, I'm definitely saving and planning for a life-long career of "bumming". Opening a bar, skiing, surfing, backpacking, starting a band, watching Simpsons....all fantastic ideas.

Speaking of Simpsons, a good RE episode is where Homer saves enough money to quit the power plant and start his dream job - working at the bowling alley. Same concept applies here.

Right now I'm working towards taking a break from employment and travelling in Europe for a while. Hopefully this fall. I look forward to hearing your ideas and dreams and talking about beaches.

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61 of 381
Subject: Re: I'm in! Date: 1/30/2001 3:34 PM
Why no opera...Nesun dorma...:) Gekko II

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement