Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: danalexky Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 182  
Subject: Re: Lucky or skillful? Date: 12/29/2011 7:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm investing from a 401k rolled into an IRA with fidelity. No taxes. For the year I am up 30%, taking my December 2011 ending balance and dividing it by my December 2010 starting balance as of 12/29/2011. Trades cost about $8. I spend a couple hours a day looking on the internet at stocks and I use the Stock Advisor service for ideas. My investing philosophy? I don't think I have one. I bought SLV at $26, sold at $47. Bought at 33, sold at 36. Bought at 33, sold at 36. I usually trade 1000 shares of whatever at a time so I was making 3,000 to 20,000 each set of trades. I did the same with CDE, starting around $14 I think, and making 2 - 5 thousand a trade. I bought WPRT at $25, and have bought and sold it several times. I believe it has an excellent future and have been tradeing 2 - 4 thousand shares a trade, the last was from 26 buy to a 33 sell with 4,000 shares. I have been buying SQQQ also for the big drops, buy at 18-19 a share and sell at 20 - 22. I bought wfm and made about 8 percent, it doesn't have the volatility I am looking for, and I use stocks in the 10 - 40 dollar a share range mostly. I held seagate for a long time, finally sold it for a couple dollars a share more, just before it took off. I recently sold off some trash - logl and like that, for about 8 thousand in losses. I like to take a good stock thats down, make a few bucks, and sell it. With the roller coaster of the market, all it takes is a volatile stock and waiting a few days for the dip or rise. I am currently mostly in cash due to thin trading. I also sell covered calls just to make a few bucks. Currently: I want to buy 4000 wprt at 30 or below. I am buying calls on aapl, maybe $10,000. SLV is getting close to a buy for me at around 26, maybe 1000 shares since europe is still bouncing. I think I am lucky and intuitive, I don't think I am skillful.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement