No. of Recommendations: 2
Im looking for a high scale condos, any advice or places to look at?

Depends a little bit about you, and what you're looking for - in a city of several million, there's no one "best place". Full disclosure - I've lived in what used to be "North Scottsdale" - Scottsdale & Shea for the last fifteen years, and I'm biased towards this area.

Having said that, the "Valley of the Sun" is a big place, with lots of different areas. Painting with a broad brush:

1) Central Phoenix - not my area of expertise, but the most urban areas, with some high-rise condos for those who like them. The most exclusive area is probably Biltmore - about 24th and Camelback, with upscale shopping, and some very high end condos.

2) West Valley - in my mind, anything that says "Avenue", that is, west of Central. Historically the less chic area of town - having a huge growth spurt. The football stadium and the hockey arena are out there, and some nightlife is developing in that area.

3) East Valley - Tempe, Chandler, Mesa, and, more recently, Gilbert and beyond. Tempe has something of a college town flavor, with ASU and Mill Avenue and some nice clubs, though they tend towards the college crowd. Beyond that tends to be affordable housing for families, with back-breaking commutes into either downtown on the 60, or Scottsdale on the 101.

4) Paradise Valley - where the athletes and celebrities live. Mostly single family homes on big pieces of property - probably some condos there, though you couldn't prove it by me.

5) "New" North Scottsdale - When I moved here Scottsdale Rd. & Shea was still fairly far north - but there's been a huge amount of construction in what used to be desert - up towards Pinnacle Peak, Jomax, Dynamite, all the way up to Cave Creek. My impression (maybe wrong) is that these areas tend towards the older and monied folks, and that the action is further south, but I'd be happy to be corrected.

6) "Old" North Scottsdale - Draw maybe a three-mile circle around Cactus and Hayden. The area I'm most familiar with - but where I'd pick again - has shopping, dining, nightclubs, and lots of high-end condos.

7) South Scottsdale - "Old Town" Scottsdale is undoubtedly where the clubbing and the action is. The housing around there tends towards the older, though a couple of upscale new projects are going in.

8) Desert Ridge - don't really think of it as an area, but you'd mentioned it in your post. Desert Ridge is a nice outdoor shopping mall - tends to attract a teen crowd, though it has quite a few upscale chain and adult restaurants. It has a Marriott nearby, and some condos, and probably the people who live there like it.

Good luck and keep us posted,

martybl
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement