Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dbau One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61  
Subject: Re: Snap 4000 vs Netapp F720? Date: 2/25/2000 9:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I'm no expert in this area, just learning. Hope I'm not hyping DSS too much. I'd like to hear the negatives as well as the positives.

But here are some positive thoughts.

Each of TinkerShaw's points:

(1) will major players buy it. These players depend on 24/7100% uptime of which NTAP is known to give

The major players won't buy it at first, but this seems OK. Quantum's move upmarket is an "attack from below", and if they are being successful they will capture the low-end customers first. The minor players. The major players will follow after Quantum product capacity catches up with their needs, and after minor players have shown them that there is proven reliability and a big price/performance benefit.

(2) Will current clients of NTAP buy a Quantum product given (1) difficulty of compatibility with existing NTAP systems and (2) unknown reliability problems, (3) no certification from software makers such as Oracle or Real Network.

Current clients will be slow to switch, and integration issues are a big question mark for me. But there are a couple hopeful possibilities to consider.

(1) Quantum brings storage-integration knowledge for backup solutions via DLT, so they possibly have engineers that understand - at some level - how to integrate with NTAP and EMC systems.

(2) We're still at the early stages of the growth for the NAS business - that's why it's interesting - and it's possible that the number of new customers (who care less about legacy integration) simply exceeds the number of old customers (who care more about legacy storage). After all, NTAP is gaining on EMC....

(3) Basic file sharing is the killer app, so Quantum can begin competing even without support from Oracle and Real. And in the end, it's in the interest of Oracle and Real to work on all the most popular storage systems; they don't benefit if they tie themselves just to NTAP. If Quantum can build a filer with broad appeal and compelling price/performance, then we can expect Oracle and Real will work with them.

...Therefore, if it wants to bust into this market it had better well be a much better product at a much better cost than what NTAP is selling.

TinkerShaw is right that the price/performance advantage DSS proposes needs to be dramatic if they want to win. But I think that DSS may just pull it off.

The interesting thing about focusing on the ultra-low-end market first is that in the super-low-end market, the product design has to be very economical, and administration costs really need to be zero. There's the hope that DSS's stupid low-end design will be appealing to data centers filled with more and more NAS boxes.

When your box costs $3,000 instead of $30,000, it makes sense to just throw the whole thing out when it starts to cause problems or when it needs to be upgraded, rather than wrestle with all the problems of opening it up and replacing components. So perhaps as price drops dramatically there's room for a qualitatively different approach than NTAP's big filers.

I want to find out more about the design of the Snap 4000 when it comes out. My hope is that we'll find that Quantum has designed a much simpler product than NTAP's 700 series filers. We'll see.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement