UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884510  
Subject: Re: Pretty amazing... long Date: 4/4/2013 3:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 28
I'm not a parent, but if I was, with convicted sex offenders sometimes working in public schools systems, ain't no way in h3ll I'd let the school decide what dentist my kids would see - who knows what kind of background check the school actually ran for a dentist if they can't hire other staff who aren't convicted sex offenders.

I'm glad you had involved parents who could afford to take that time and get you the care you needed. You are, of course, aware that this is not necessarily the case for all kids, right?

When I was growing up, there were dental checkups done for elementary-aged kids. When I was in high-school, you could volunteer to go to for the day. They usually had them in the auditoriums. The kid would go into a screened area while others were lined up outside, but there were always others present, for example, I was there as a "recorder" and I would write down what the dentist told me to on a form.

No actual care was given - this was a screening only. However, it was often the first dental experience many of these kids had - and many of them desperately needed. If things were found and it was clear there had not been prior dental care, there were forms provided for how the kids could obtain dental care at low/no costs.

The option here isn't "my kid can visit the school dentist or I can take them to ours" - the choice was between "my kid can go to the school screening or never see a dentist at all."

Feel free to be an involved parent. I think it's wonderful. I hope you have dental insurance. I think everyone should.

Of course, I live in the real world, where many people... don't.

GSF
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement