Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (53) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LongHook Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4870  
Subject: Re: Looking for links Date: 8/14/2003 1:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
I'm not dismissing anything, but I'd rather try selling a story for $5,000 (Playboy) or $1,200 (Zoetrope: All Story) before I give it away or sell it to a new publisher for $10 (as Amazing Journeys is offering for 3K-20K stories!) or go the profit-sharing route (per Trip The Light Fantastic, and others).

Well, wouldn't we all? =)

This may sound patronizing, but the following I consider legitimate advice, so please don't be offended: you're just starting out, so concentrate on getting accepted and recognized, NOT on getting paid!

You are apparently VERY prolific. Writing is not a problem for you, you can always "make more". The competition in the fiction market is incredibly fierce, and the competition for the journals with decent pay is particularly so, thus the odds of a new writer breaking into that market from the get go are very low. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the odds are way more in your favor going in low and slow, and then building up.

Playboy gets over one thousand submissions a month. Do you think they read all those, or that you'll have any chance in hell of having your submission read? The typical sifting mechanism that most magazines and agents go through is something like this:

- is submission packet poorly packaged?
- wordy, effusive or poorly done cover letter?
- any prior publications?
- has writer indicated that they're familiar with this market?

The cut-off is different for each location, but by and large with the sheer number of authors out there, often the triage is capricious, merciless and excessive. Perfectly good stories never get read because the author didn't include an SASE or e-mailed it instead of sending a printed manuscript, etc. In fact, a lot of good stories are rejected simply because the first paragraph wasn't that good.

Once again, On Writing has a good discussion about the submission process. It's a two or three evening read, really. Not to belabor the point =)

With for-pay journals, you're looking at turnaround times in measured in months. With the smaller journals, you'll often (but not always) get a personal reply from an editor instead of a pink rejection slip with no commentary. You'll have a faster turnaround time, better feedback, and overall probably a better feeling of satisfaction and progress early on. To me, that's more important than the first early checks.

You don't go into writing for money until after someone has paid you at least once ;)

-Hook
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (53) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement