Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
I'm not disputing that it is hard to get along on minimum wage. It wasn't that long ago that I was making minimum wage myself.

I think saying it is impossible to get along on minimum wage is closer to the truth.

It is true that it is hard to get along on minimum wage. But, from a position of economic reality, I think it's more important to look at the why of minimum wage. It's the minimum because it requires a minimum of investment by the individual to attain a position that pays minimum wage. I am not saying that people who earn minimum wage don't work hard or are completely untalented. However, the solution is not raising the minimum wage. The solution is to return the minimum wage job to the entry level position it was meant to be, as opposed to the career option it has become for many. The solution is multi-faceted and would involve making education financially easier to obtain. It would involve an emphasis on responsible birth practices to include the promotion of birth control until people are in a position to support any offspring they might create. It would involve returning an emphasis on competence (student competence) to our schools, and to involve as well the idea that if someone isn't making the grade, that person needs assistance and to exert more effort, rather than to lower the bar.

These are things that would have greatly helped me. I went from being a minimum wage earner on her own at 17 to a PhD making considerably more than minimum wage. I did it with determination, by limiting my procreative options (I had one kid after I could afford to support myself and one kid regardless of marital status or availablity of a male partner), and by quite frankly working my ass off and refusing to take "no" as an answer. As it was then and as it is now, our government and in fact our society offers little assistance to anyone attempting the same feat.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement