UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127676  
Subject: Re: Landlord Offered to Sell Date: 8/9/2011 2:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
...I'm not even sure ... how to respond...

Well, if your initial response was, "Oh, that's a terrific opportunity! Thanks! Give me a couple weeks to think it over and figure out what our position is, and we'll discuss it again."
then you've done Step 1 right.

...We like the area and my children are well planted in school...

I take from this that you would like to stay where you are for at least another 5-10 years, correct?

The questions then are:

1. Would you prefer to buy or continue renting? The usual pros and cons of buying vs renting apply; for example:
- If your husband's job is not particularly secure, better to rent so if/when you relocate again it's easier to move.
- If you buy, you can renovate/decorate how you like (budget permitting).
- If you buy, you become responsible for repairs.
- A useful mental exercise is: if you were suddenly evicted from your current house (if, for example, the landlord wanted it back so a relative could move in), would you look for another rental or see it as an opportunity to start hunting for something to buy?

2. If you'd like to buy, would you like to buy *this* particular house?
- Do you like this house? You seem to like it, so I would guess that if you buy, you'd be interested if the price is right. So:
- What's the price? If I were in your shoes, I'd poke around on the internet and also visit a few open houses to get a sense of what other houses in the neighborhood are selling for. Other houses will be better or worse, so you can mentally adjust the price to arrive at a ballpark of what "your" house is worth.
- Can you afford it? We don't have money for a downpayment... Do you have any cash? Because if the PITI will be higher than rent, then given that you haven't been saving, you don't have any extra cash available for a higher monthly payment, much less for repairs.

3. If you can't afford to buy *this* house, can you afford to continue renting it, with the increased rent?

Good luck!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement