Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not going to jump into the who shot John of this thread. I'll just state the rules.

1. You can make a 1999 contribution to a new or existing traditional or Roth IRA any time from now until 4/17/2000.

2. You can make a year 2000 contribution to a new or existing traditional or Roth IRA any time from now until 4/15/2001. (I haven't looked at the 2001 calendar. If April 15, 2001 is on a Saturday or Sunday, the deadline is the next business day.)

In the first post of this thread it was asked how IRS tracks contributions since you don't report them. The taxpayer doesn't report them, but the custodian does, on Form 5498. IRS can use that information, along with the information on your return, to determine if illegal contributions were made.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.