UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: VlLPastor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: I'm not quite sure what to do Date: 1/21/1999 10:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yesterday I got handed a piece of mail that had been rained on and opened. It was a credit card application from Capital One Visa in Richmond VA. Natuarally the application form was missing, but the prepaid envelope was still there. Should I call Capital One and inform them not to accept any applications from me? If so does anyone have a phone number for them? Also, are there any other credit defensive moves that I need to make?

Thanks everyone for your answers in advance.

Valerie
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Earlene One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6384 of 308881
Subject: Re: I'm not quite sure what to do Date: 1/21/1999 10:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Yesterday I got handed a piece of mail that had been rained on and opened. It was a credit card application from Capital One Visa in Richmond VA. Natuarally the application form was missing, but the prepaid envelope was still there. Should I call Capital One and inform them not to accept any applications from me? If so does anyone have a phone number for them? Also, are there any other credit defensive moves that I need to make?

Valerie,

What a terrible predicament. I would not only call them but also get an address where I could send a letter, certified with return receipt, telling them the same information. Their customer service number is (800)262-1493.

Then, also get a copy of your credit reports in a few months just to be sure Capital One followed your instructions.

Earlene

Author: VlLPastor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6386 of 308881
Subject: Re: I'm not quite sure what to do Date: 1/21/1999 12:27 PM
Earlene,

Thanks for the number and the advice. It was tedious staying on the line, especially as they told me to call all three credit reporting agencies. The good fallout from this is I'm getting a free credit report mailed back to me from each agency and I'll also have a block on those pesky credit applications. So a silver lining appeared from my befuddlement.

Valerie

Author: Earlene One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6387 of 308881
Subject: Re: I'm not quite sure what to do Date: 1/21/1999 1:25 PM
Valerie,

That's good news! Here's hoping there are no nasty surprises on the credit reports.

Earlene

Author: TMFRunkle Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6430 of 308881
Subject: Re: I'm not quite sure what to do Date: 1/22/1999 8:53 PM

Valerie, I'm sure this has been answered already, but YES, call them up! A friend of mine worked as a collector, and this was a common scam. Steal a pre-approved card application, change the address, and run up the charges. Most often he said it was relatives that did this. In the news, a local woman got seven years in jail for this exact scam.

George

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement