Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ragie Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Re: Inherited IRA question Date: 11/19/2009 3:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm not sure if anyone has addressed the "RMD exclusion" in this thread or not so I thought I'd post it because I've been researching it for awhile for myself and came across this thread.

The RMD does not have to be taken (it can be waived) in 2009 for your 2008 inherited IRA, even if non-spousal. I confirmed this with my broker and the RMD suspension rule for this year and last year - just within the last few days. This was done for both 2008 and 2009 because of the economy/recession for all IRA holders, inherited or not and the values of all IRA's were down. My parents also do not have to take their RMD's and they are in their 80's.

Unless Congress extends that exemption of RMD again, you do not have to take the RMD this year but will start in 2010 (you should get notified in January 2010 what the amount will be by your brokerage account holding the inherited IRA) and it should be based on the value of the IRA at the end of the year you inherited it. Also it should be based on your age and expected "single life expectancy." See IRS Publication 590 for 2008 for details on that. Also if you are or become disabled, get publication 524 for some additional rules as the penalties are waived etc.

In my case, the end of year value of the Inherited IRA for 2008 helps reduce the RMD amount because the amount of the IRA I received was down over 50% on 12-31-08 compared to when I inherited it in May, 2008. It may help you too.

I'm also exploring another area of IRS Regulations that I'm not sure are applicable to you or myself but the NUA (net unrealized appreciation) in IRS Publication 575 for 2008 may allow you to take a lump sump of that Inherited IRA and reduce the tax amount, which may make sense if you need to free up some funds. Make sure you get the publications for the year inherited it.

Of course Congress changes rules all the time, so who knows what will happen next year?

I hope this helps you if you didn't already know about this. :)

I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to this but I've had to research it for myself and thought I would share.

I'm so sorry that you lost your mother. Take care and let me know if I've helped or if you need some of the research I have.

Ragie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement