No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm not sure this can be accomplished in a single step.
401(k) contributions are typically pre-tax, while Roth IRA contributions are after-tax, and earnings are not taxed within the account in either case.

The typical process is two step
1. 401(k) => roll-over IRA
2. Roll-over IRA => Roth IRA

Sorry, you are incorrect. The law was changed as of Jan 1, 2008, as a part of the "Pension Protection Act of 2006". A 1 step combination rollover/conversion is now allowed, and the 2 step process is no longer required.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.