UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75610  
Subject: Re: Poll: I .... this job Date: 2/6/2014 8:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I'm not sure what you are hoping to find out in your poll. I really like my job, but I still can't wait to retire. I've been working for 30+ years, and I'm tired of the daily grind. I would prefer that my time really belongs to me, and that I do not have my days scheduled because I have to be at work. I even find this with volunteer activities, by the way. At some point, I get tired of being on someone else's schedule, and prefer the freedom and flexibility of setting my own schedule and using my time as I see fit.

And it is that part that DH has had a hard time understanding, but finally gets it. Since he is self-employed, he gets to set his own hours. If he'd prefer to go skiing today rather than go to the job, he can just do that. If he wants to go play golf in the summer instead of work on a paid project, he can do that. Granted, he only gets paid when he is working, but he can choose when he wants to put in those hours, and can set expectations accordingly. As someone who works for a large company, I just don't have that flexibility, and find that I end up taking my vacation as a lot of half-days to get in the activities that I want to be doing.

That doesn't mean that I don't like my job. I really do, and I work with a great bunch of people, but that has nothing to do with the fact that I am most definitely ready for the next phase of my life, which is retirement.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement