No. of Recommendations: 0
i'm not sure why i have two morgages. i am young, so this first purchase was a whirlwind. i tried to ask as many questions as possible, but man, it was tough to get everything. i think it's because my morgage broker was trying to avoid me having to pay PMI (insurance, right?).

That makes sense. In general, you're probably better off bootstrapping a second mortgage ratherr than having to resort to paying PMI.

why am i in debt: i made bad decisions right after i got out of college. put too much on my cc for start-up costs instead of trying to work with what i had. i'd say my weakness is that i occasionally make impulse purchases (ha! irony of wedding!), though i have curbed that in the last year.

You sound like you have figured out the causes and have built up a system to keep the damage from recurring. That's a good step.

Also, FWIW, sometimes there is no avoiding going into a little bit of CC debt. For example, my wife has a friend who, when she was finishing up at college and looking to go to grad school had no resources other than her credit card. She had to put her trips to look at potential grad schools on her credit card. Took her a while to pay it back, but it was an expense that was worth it to ther and she has no regrets (AFAIK) about having done it.

You have to make the deicision yourself just how important each aspect of the wedding is for you and whether it is worth having that amount of debt on your credit cards since spending money on the wedding is, for all practical purposes, the same as putting the money on your credit card. I can't tell you to do it or not to do it -- that decision is yours (and your fiance's of course).

Just try to get back out of debt as soon as you can.

we, together, put between $400-500 towards cc each month. such a waste!!!!!!!!

Every dollar you put towards the debt reduces the amount of interest you have to pay out the next month. After you get out of debt, every dollar you save increases the amount of income you will receive in interest the next month.

All the best,
B+C
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement