Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
I'm not tremendously sure what impact Michael Moore's quotes could possibly have on a topic such as this.

It's actually amazing how much misinformation he manages to pack into a relatively short blurb, although those who've had the misfortune to see one of his movies know that he's had a great deal of practice at promulgating misinformation.

1) Nihlism: But the truth is, exercise does not work, diets do not work, feeling crummy does not work. Nothing works. I love it - confusing "not easy" with "impossible." There is an abundance of data that folks who burn more calories than they ingest over a period of time, will, in fact, lose weight. Over history, when people were caught in one of mankind's too frequent famines, "underactive metabolisms" or "thyroid problems," or their "family's big bones" didn't keep people from losing weight.

2) Diet doesn't matter: I eat ice cream every friggin' day. I drink a regular Coke every single day. I put butter on things. Talk about self-fulfilling prophecies. A scoop of ice cream, a can of Coke and two pats of butter have roughly 600 calories. A reasonable weight loss diet for a full-sized man would be 1800 calories/day - I've done it. 600 calories is a third of that allotment, just in junk. How about a few ounces of low-fat frozen yogurt once a week, instead?

3) Overestimating the benefits of exercise: I also walk every day. Some days now, I walk twice. And now I've started to do some push-ups and lifting stuff. Thirty minutes of brisk walking burns no more than 300 calories, and that's a generous estimate - less than half of what he just added in junk. There's a saying on LBYM, "You can't out-earn bad spending habits." Similarly, you can't outexercise bad eating habits. I'm about where I want to be, but I watch everything I eat, and keep a close eye on both the scale and the mirror to fine-tune my eating.

4) The old "building muscle" canard: It's building muscle, and in doing so, has created an extra furnace to burn stuff and create energy. Memo - building muscle is REALLY hard - it doesn't just happen. I've kept detailed records from the BodPod at my gym, and over two and a half years of weight-lifting 4-5 times a week, I've gained a bit over ten pounds of muscle. I don't know how much Mr. Moore has built with 30 minute walks and the occasional push-up, but I'd be shocked if it were three pounds - hardly an "extra furnace."

martybl
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement