No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm planning on spending the Memorial Day weekend in Newport, RI with my fiance. We are staying at the Hyatt hotel over there. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for restaurants, sight seeing, things to do, etc.

Newport has a lot of immense mansions that were owned at one time by railroad magnates and the like but were sold to the city once they became impractical to own. Tours of the mansions are offered but are on the expensive side. I always preferred to take the cliff walk, which is a fairly easy walking trail along the coast that gives you a good exterior view of the mansions (and it's free!)

Take a walk through the town, especially around the waterfront and docks area. There are lots of interesting things to see, such as the old America's Cup yachts, some of which will take you sailing for a fee.

Go up the hill a way and visit the old church (300-350 years old or something of the sort). Drive across the bridge to Jamestown island and visit the lighthouse (which is a sort of miniature maritime museum as I recall). There are also some nice beaches in Newport, my favorite being Second Beach, although it's probably too early for swimming.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement