UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 465354  
Subject: Re: the great problem of misperceptions Date: 12/18/2012 9:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I'm pretty much in concurrence with Knighted on this one.

I am not surprised by 70% of the population saying that it's fine to raise the taxes on a 5% block that is outside of their domain (in fact, I'm surprised that it is not 95%, so I guess there may still be some hope that at least a few understand the arguments).

Yes, there is a very small handful of hedge fund guys and their ilk (say .01% or less of the population) who abuse the system and laws can address this specific issue (such as the AMT attempted to in the 1970's). On the other hand, the rest of the argument about taxing the balance of the 5% at the top clearly is bogus as this represents only 25% of the tax differential caused by the Bush tax cuts. The rest (the vast majority of 75% of them) comes from the cuts to the middle class.

The rhetoric made by a political figure that "passing an extension of the tax cuts on the middle class immediately will go a long way towards solving the fiscal cliff problem", does not even make sense (how can collecting less money go a long way towards solving a deficit problem). The very fact that statements like this go unchallenged and are accepted as gospel shows how ridiculous the discussions have become.

The fear of causing a recession by making reasonable decisions means that unreasonable decisions will be made.

Jeff
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement