Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11712  
Subject: I'm Really Beginning To Hate The Weather Beater Date: 12/20/2012 1:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I don't know, maybe its jealous the converted G8 sits in the garage all winter while it has to freeze.

The heated seat driver side no longer works - $600

CV boot torn - $275

Now the key fob no longer works. Normally this wouldn't be earth shattering but the only place I can put a key in the whole vehicle is the driver's door. Want to open the hatch - nope - can't. No key hole no button. The fob itself is fine and holds a program, so they think the BCM is going back - $500, if I'm lucky

Power sliding doors - works when the feel like it

Yup, the GM U-Body vans are truely "disposable." Currently 8 years old with 130K miles. I really, really, REALLY, need this weather beater to hold out until 2015. Of course the grocery list of issues fires up AFTER the new battery and new tires, not before. I would be far more inclined to try and private sell below market value (say $6.5K) and find a replacement. :-/

Just venting.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11439 of 11712
Subject: Re: I'm Really Beginning To Hate The Weather Bea Date: 12/20/2012 8:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
The heated seat driver side no longer works - $600

Bummer. That goes unfixed on an 8 year old car. Yes, even in winter in a place where winter is actually cold.

CV boot torn - $275

The typical fix is to replace the whole axle. The CV joint will go a long time with a torn boot. Then it will start making noises. At that point, it will still go a long time. If money is tight, I'd defer that one for now.

Now the key fob no longer works. Normally this wouldn't be earth shattering but the only place I can put a key in the whole vehicle is the driver's door. Want to open the hatch - nope - can't. No key hole no button. The fob itself is fine and holds a program, so they think the BCM is going back - $500, if I'm lucky

Power sliding doors - works when the feel like it

Those might both be related to a failing BCM. I know that aftermarket replacements aren't supposed to work. But they might and are likely a lot cheaper. I'd also scope out used parts. Electronics generally either work or they don't. There's rarely an inbetween condition. Might look for a loose connection somewhere. Might also look for a way to just kill off the power doors and make do with manual operation.

You probably knew all this already - just posting for the lurkers.

And I feel your pain. I'm putting up with a 98 Honda Odyssey. I hate this car, but it was a good deal when I needed a car, and I didn't know any better at the time. Bought it from a relative - the original owner - who was very happy with it. I put a tranny in it a few months ago.

The seats are hard and have no support. It rides like a truck. The radio sounds like its from the 60s. For a minivan that's going to break it's tranny periodically, I prefer my Chrysler. Much more comfortable. But it has bad power doors and a bad rear hatch, and bad fuel mileage.

I would be far more inclined to try and private sell below market value (say $6.5K) and find a replacement. :-/

Not a bad option. I've considered that with the Honda. Could probably get a Chrysler mini that's a couple of years newer for what I can get out of the Honda.

--Peter

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11440 of 11712
Subject: Re: I'm Really Beginning To Hate The Weather Bea Date: 12/21/2012 3:25 AM
Got off with a smack on the wrist. Computer reprogrammed for $162 drive out and everything works.

CV Boot next week, forget the heated seat.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11441 of 11712
Subject: Re: I'm Really Beginning To Hate The Weather Bea Date: 12/21/2012 10:30 AM
So the seat problem isn't BCM related.

Have they actually diagnosed it and told you what is wrong? I'm guessing in addition to the heating element itself going bad, failure modes might include loose connections, a bad relay or switch, etc.

Can you get a service manual for the van and a cheap multimeter?

xtn

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11442 of 11712
Subject: Re: I'm Really Beginning To Hate The Weather Bea Date: 12/22/2012 4:30 PM
The elements are fried, I guess after 8 years and 130K miles its an "acceptable" failure. The parts are cheap, about $150. The labor is over 3 hours. I would DIY but the seat has an airbag built in and the main BCM connector for everything aft of the dash is under the seat and exposed (stupid GM engineering choice to cut costs). I generally speaking loathe messing with airbags, but winter and increased static discharge adds a whole new level of fun.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement