Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: putnid Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15419  
Subject: Re: Armstrong Date: 1/22/2013 8:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I'm really tired of this line of reasoning for a number of reasons. It discounts the fact that there were absolutely clean riders who didn't dope during that time and whose careers suffered because of it. The reason that you can't find them in the top 10 was because the dope was so effective, especially in grand tours like the Tour de France. The benefits gained from EPO and other oxygen-based doping meant that guys who once finished 30 minutes behind the leaders could now keep up and push the pace. - SvenHoek

To your point that that were/are riders who ride "clean," I offer this article and statement by retiring pro Nicole Cooke.She raises many thought-provoking/poignant points:

http://tinyurl.com/aso98q2

2008 World and Olympic champion “robbed by drug cheats” but won more than she “dreamed of”

The Welsh rider won the first of her ten British national titles in 1999, aged just 16, and then went on to take nine straight victories - making the red, white and blue jersey her own, between 2001 and 2009. Despite being the number one rider in the World for several years, Cooke was continually thwarted at the World championships, largely due to a lack of a quality team around her; finally things came together in 2008, however, when she took Olympic gold in Beijing, China, and followed it up with her first senior rainbow jersey in Varese, Italy.

On her retirement, Cooke points the finger very squarely at dopers for both denying her, and other clean riders, the results that they deserve, as well as driving money away from the sport.

“But for many genuine people out there who do ride clean, people with morals, many of these people have had to leave the sport with nothing after a lifetime of hard work."

“When Lance cries on Oprah later this week and she passes him a tissue, spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward."

“Tyler Hamilton will make more money from a book describing how he cheated than I will make in all my years of honest labour.”

I truly love the Tour de France - the grandeur, tradition and sheer audacity of the "event." Rampant doping has been a scourge for the honest riders, the trusting/(worshipping) fans, the entire sport.

It truly pained me when, in October, 2012, Rabobank announced it was withdrawing completely from pro-cycling. Rabobank, a Dutch bank, has been a major sponsor of cycling for decades. Anyone who has ever visited the Netherlands knows just how devoted the Dutch are to cycling. Now Rabobank has called it quits.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement