No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm receiving loan forgiveness from my law school, I'm abroad and have no normal taxable income because of the living abroad exemption, but I'm interested in saving for retirement. I'm wondering if I can claim the loan forgiveness as income not covered by the living abroad exemption and save in a Roth IRA.

If not, is there some other IRA I should consider? Is there a point if it's not a deduction? Is there some global pension that can be recommended for expats?

Simply put, how should I save for retirement in my circumstance?
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.