UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127262  
Subject: Re: financing the next house Date: 2/7/2014 10:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm resurrecting this thread to continue the discussion, and would like some feedback on my additional thinking, particularly given the great feedback I got from everyone when I asked previously.

I am now thinking that it makes the most sense to just do a straight refinance of my existing mortgage. I have a 10-year FRM at 3.49% at my credit union that will be paid off in 2019. If I refinance that to a 3/1 ARM, which is currently around 2.75% with no points at my credit union, I can pay the new payment, and put the savings aside to go towards the land and new house construction.

I am thinking that this would avoid taking out the HELOC, where I would be paying interest on the money while it just sits in the bank, and it would avoid the issues around that portion that is not deductible as well as the AMT that was mentioned.

I could then use cash to acquire the land (we are still looking), take however long to do the plans, and then go to the same bank we used the last time for this house to get a construction loan when I need it. They will take the land as a downpayment, and will finance up to 80% of the total cost, which means we would actually get some money back that we had used to purchase the land to use towards the construction. They do a construction loan to mortgage program that has just one closing. Having the lower payment on this house will also help with our debt ratios, although they will still be under that 43% mentioned in another thread.

This would make it easier financially since it wouldn't be as tight, and would let us continue with the plan to build the new house first, move into it, and then sell this house. Once this house sells, we would pay off its remaining mortgage plus the mortgage on the new house, and put the remaining cash in the bank to backfill the savings that I had tapped, and to leave some money for a 2nd house down the road.

I am thinking that the best case is we are 2 years from being out of this house, and worst case is that we are 5 years away, so even if we have one reset period where the rate increases the full 2% putting us around 4.75%, that would be for a very short time.

I think this gives us the most flexibility and least stress, but I'd love some input/critiques.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement