No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm sorry. Worrying about your child is like worrying about yourself--and then some.

Has she tried to get the record expunged? Consult a lawyer, not sure which kind is appropriate. Maybe an employment lawyer or criminal lawyer who deals with juveniles if it was a criminal matter. Are there employment agencies that specialize in workers with problems in their past?

The best bet for employment is probably through a personal contact. A contact high enough in a small company (that might have less formal procedures for hiring) and close enough to seriously vouch for her. She may be able to bypass a background check, depending on the business.

If immediate cash is important, there are jobs where background may be less relevant...waitress? clerk in a small shop? used car sales? utility/cable/phone company sales?

If there's time before the financial crunch hits, perhaps get training in an allied health profession.

I hope this ends well.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.