UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SuaSponteMark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Re: On the road to retirement riches :-) Date: 3/6/2004 11:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm starting out with 1k and hopefully putting $500/transaction up to the 3k max for the year.

Well done buddy.

I personally like to keep my "management fees" which I define as trading transaction fees I incur to 1% or less, so on a $10 Scottrade transaction fee to buy (I think they're $10 or so...?) you're at 1% with your initial contribution. I would consider saving another 1k before you buy again.

I'm fortunate that I'm in a position where I can contribute to my IRA in one chunk and do so in the beginning of the year, and thus pay about 0.33% in "management fees." Over time this even attrits, as will your costs, if you don't make a lot of moves in your account. If you disregard the fees required to run the fund, which as we known are fractions of a percent of around 0.2% or so (we can't NOT pay these so I don't worry about them for index funds too much), we end up halving our "management fees" in the second year. You paid $10 for the trade in Year 1 and in Year 2 if you don't touch your VTSMX you incur no additional fees, so your $10 on 1k goes to $5/year, essentially, and the cost to you goes from 1% to 0.5%.

Just another viewpoint on why my accounts don't see much activity other than a once a year or so buy, and maybe getting rid of a position that I feel is not working for me as well as it might any more.

Mark
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement