Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm still going to try to contact the USPS, *just* in case they happen to have kept such records. A lot of trouble for what amounts to a relatively small difference in taxes (at 15% LTCG rates), but it really bugs me that I didn't keep the receipt! :-)

Is there any way to trace the transaction through some of your other records? For example, did you buy them using a credit card that you still have records for or using a check that you could find a copy of? I know, it's also a very long shot considering that it was 25 years ago. Just a thought...

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.