Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: stellla Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Re: DIY & LBYM dog coat ideas Date: 12/25/2011 12:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm sure others will have MUCH better suggestions, but here is one ultra simple idea. The end result will be one piece kinda the shape of a baby bib, and then one piece that looks like a very wide, short belt.

For the "bib" part: measure your dog from shoulder to to rump, and from top of the leg on the left over the back to the top of the leg on the right. Let's say that's 10" x 4". Then you need to measure from one shoulder, around the front of the neck, to the other shoulder. Those are how long the flap part of the bib (what would wrap around a baby's neck) need to be, but add a couple of inches so they can overlap. Make them as wide as your dog needs. Mark out how wide you want them, and then cut back to the top of the shoulders.

To connect the two flaps, over lap them so the total won't strangle or dangle on your dog, and mark the spot on both of the flaps. Decide which flap will be the "bottom" flap that touches your dog's neck. On the top of that side, stitch the rope to the flap. Cut a smallish hole where you marked the top flap, and pull the rope through the flap. The idea would be to put the coat on your dog and then tie the rope in a knot large enough to not get pulled through the hole.

For the belt-like piece, measure from the back of the front legs to where you want it to stop, probably where the rib cage ends. That also allows you to ignore the difference in width between rib cage and belly. Make it long enough to go from one side to the other, underneath, and again mark on the bib piece on each side and the "belt" on each side where they line up with each other.

Sew one side of the belt to the bottom of the "bib." Put a small hole through the bib there, and on the other side of the bib. Put one end of your rope through the hole on the side where it's sewed on.

Keeping the rope on the "belt," put it around to put it through the hole on the other side, and tie a bow, knot, whatever. You'll end up with the rope in a circle. The "belt" both keeps the dog warmer, and keeps the rope from rubbing the dog.

That would be a very quick way to make a dog quote, with only a couple of small bits of sewing and some measuring/cutting and tying. I'm sure your immediate deadline has passed, but I thought it still might help.

Just try to keep the rope (leather strip, ribbon, whatever), from direct contact with the dog, and make sure the fabric is far enough from the back of legs, etc. not to chafe. I hope it makes sense. If I could, I'd attach a picture of one my mom knit for me that's the same shape (and is for an even smaller dog!).

Good luck!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement