UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: llisiraw Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1482  
Subject: Re: Richard Feynman Date: 6/8/2001 2:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I'm sure somebody out there agrees with me. Feynman should be required reading for everyone.

Yes, he should. I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but Feynman is essential reading not only because of his clarity and brilliance, but also because of his honesty.

He's the only author that comes to mind to readily admit when he doesn't understand something. When speaking of quantum mechanics, he realizes that it is a wacky theory and offers no apologies or explanations. He simply admits that he doesn't know why it works, and that is a virtue that is absent in academia (and everywhere else for that matter).

I'm currently reading "Lectures on Computation" and am amazed that I've finally found someone who can explain the Turing Machine!

Feynman believed, as I do, that if a theory is unexplainable, then it is worthless.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Looking For More to Read?
Visit the Fool Bookstore for all of the Fool's favorite reads!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement