UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734711  
Subject: Re: Biden's niece a real mess Date: 10/31/2013 11:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm sure they do... for the very same reasons if not the same motives

http://www.livestrong.com/article/97065-genetics-alcoholism/......

There are numerous studies about the role genetics play in alcoholism, and as an extension, drug abuse. To be honest with you I get lost in the detailed technical jargon of clinical studies, but there are numerous factor at play: genetics, individual personality traits, and social influences. Read up on the various blind twins studies where one twin was raised in a different environment from the other twin. The rates of alcoholism for both twins is very high.
wolverine

>>>>>>>>

addictions run in families, sometimes it skips a generation but the behavior(thinking/emotional process) is still there without substance abuse.

I started going to 12 step meetings in 1987. Al Anon/Adult Children of Alcoholics for help in dealing with the after effects/emotional/thinking/abuse from growing up with high functioning alcoholic parents. These weren't gutter drunks. There are a lot of functioning alcoholics. From going to these meetings and understanding the patterns, I could see that if I continued to drink, I was going to become one too and it wasn't going to be pretty. I had no DUI's, didn't lose a job or family. I saw that every time I drank, I got drunk. I thought the whole purpose of drinking was to get drunk, that's what I saw anyway. Lo and behold, there were some honest to God, social drinkers out there..what a concept! I just wasn't one of them. :) I didn't need to drink to live, so I willingly stopped drinking....for almost a yr. and then a short term relationship came to a halting end and I drank maybe 2-3 double margaritas with my ex and her current girlfriend about a week or two later. I was drunk and crying over my "lost" love in the bar and she comforted me...I do remember that night vividly because it was the only time I sat on the floor of a dance bar and the last time too. :) I woke up the next morning swearing at myself for drinking and told myself, it's not worth drinking over and that was way back in 1988.

I've sat in many meetings and it affects all levels of society...gutter/living under a bridge to zillionaires......it doesn't matter how much you make, how good your family treated you, how much you went to church, none of it matters. What does matter is accepting the things you cannot change, change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I know just about every family out there has an alcoholic in it at some point or another. It's inescapable.

LuckyDog
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement