Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 81721  
Subject: I'm Thunking Date: 11/3/2012 10:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I strongly suspect y'all saw the smoke rising!!

I'm thunking about buying an ECB to:

1) Build/house a dedicated turkey fryer, fired by a propane gas burner;

2) Build/house a jet burner to cook over wid grills and woks;

3) Help brew beer wid (or, maybe, house a still to make ethanol - for fuel purposes only, of course.)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78040 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/3/2012 9:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I think that instead you should
1) buy a turkey fryer
2) do without a jet burner altogether. You haven't had good luck with huge fires.
3) buy beer brewing equipment-- it's not very expensive

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78046 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/3/2012 9:52 PM
Recommendations: 0
I think that instead you should

1) buy a turkey fryer

1)
A) I've tasted fried turkey - didn't care for it much;
B) Cooking oil costs money, not to mention the cost of GA$;
C) I had low blood pressure most of my life, but recently I have high blood pressure - Go figure.

2) do without a jet burner altogether. You haven't had good luck with huge fires.
My landlord prefers my cooking outside - less chance of burning up his apartment, again, using his stove.

3) buy beer brewing equipment-- it's not very expensive
I concur, and how do you know? <g>... got a link that I can connect with, by chance - I will mention a reference that JGB referred me.

Thanks,
Bob

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78059 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/4/2012 12:16 PM
got a link that I can connect with, by chance - I will mention a reference that JGB referred me.

I haven't brewed beer since my kids were born, but I used to shop local for the supplies-- the best here in Knoxville is Allen's Biermakens.
There's probably some good supply place in E. St. Louis or nearby.

I recommend "beer networking"-- you might find some useful information at one of the events listed here:
http://www.eastsidebrewers.org/

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78067 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/4/2012 3:01 PM
Dare also bes a Beer Brewing Fools Board at http://boards.fool.com/beer-brewing-for-fools-114225.aspx.
;-)

C.J.V. - ain't brewed beer since I left Alaska but I drunked lots of it, me

Author: blueberryhill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78074 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/4/2012 7:11 PM
Recommendations: 4
Bob, I thinking you should take a break from spending money. Actually
you could just send me a check and from time to time I will send you
what you really need. "Nothing"

Blue (thinks you have three or one too many loves) :)

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78080 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/5/2012 1:57 AM
(thinks you have three or one too many loves) :)

LOL - I have no lovers, Blue - I have a hard enough time living with my own self. I really enjoy visiting with my daughter though.

Bob

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78082 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/5/2012 6:17 AM
Recommendations: 3
I thinking you should take a break from spending money.

Blue, money can only bring you happiness when you get rid of it. You can’t eat money, you can’t drink money and you can’t wear money. It only gives you pleasure when you spends it.
;-)

C.J.V. - and DW spends lots of mine, her

Author: blueberryhill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78084 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/5/2012 8:46 AM
Recommendations: 2
CJV, I guess that is true but I personally don't find that much joy
in spending. I dislike shopping, hate to buy food, love to cook food
just don't want to go get it. So there you are ... some like to spend
some don't

Blue

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78085 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/5/2012 9:38 AM
Mostly, I need to watch that I don't waste, Blue - That hurts, BIG time.

Bob

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78086 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/5/2012 2:05 PM
Waste is in the eye of the beholder.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78092 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/5/2012 10:35 PM
I received the 18.5" portable Weber and got it put together - Typical Weber quality - Great!! Unlike some of my other Weber grills (and smoker), there are no aluminum brackets to hold the grates - The charcoal bowl is formed to hold both the cooking grate and the charcoal grate. Seems to work well. The Craycort cast iron grate fits well. It's pretty heavy to tote with the cast iron grate in place, but I'll manage.

I also ordered a "Smokenator" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006S63LLK/ref=oh_details_o... - Kind of expensive, for what it is, but I think the inventor put some time into designing it, and it will work out OK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep_35ytUcz0 ... and a hinged Weber grate http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XXW8HW/ref=oh_details_o... for it, so I can use it to smoke some stuff while camping/fishing... might get a "hover grate" for it, later.

I like it.

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78125 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/10/2012 10:06 AM
I received the 18.5" portable Weber and got it put together - Typical Weber quality - Great!! Unlike some of my other Weber grills (and smoker), there are no aluminum brackets to hold the grates - The charcoal bowl is formed to hold both the cooking grate and the charcoal grate. Seems to work well. The Craycort cast iron grate fits well. It's pretty heavy to tote with the cast iron grate in place, but I'll manage.

I also ordered a "Smokenator" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006S63LLK/ref=oh_details_o...... - Kind of expensive, for what it is, but I think the inventor put some time into designing it, and it will work out OK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep_35ytUcz0 ... and a hinged Weber grate http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XXW8HW/ref=oh_details_o...... for it, so I can use it to smoke some stuff while camping/fishing... might get a "hover grate" for it, later.

The "Smokenator" doesn't fit either of my portable 18.5" Weber kettles (Smokey Joe Platinum (no longer made) or Jumbo Joe (above)). The bowl of both of these are made differently than a standard Weber 18.5" kettle grill (1-Touch Silver or Gold - Note by my above comment about the Jumbo Joe's bowl being formed with a built-in ledge to hold the cooking grate, rather than brackets bolted to the bowl. That makes the inside diameter of the bowl narrower, by maybe an inch, in total. The depth of the bowl also appears to be somewhat shallower, maybe by about 1 to 2 inches. The accessory does fit my neighbor's standard 18.5" 1-Touch Silver kettle well - very snug fit.

I think the shallower Jumbo Joe bowl will work pretty well for grilling, with the coals being closer to the cooking grate, so that the meat might sear somewhat more quickly, perhaps especially with the Craycort cast iron cooking grate - I might give it an initial try this weekend.

I emailed the seller about returning the "Smokenator", as it doesn't fit what I have and there are other means of grilling/smoking with indirect heat on a Weber kettle that don't cost so much.

The Weber 18.5" hinged grate that I ordered fits the Jumbo Joe grill well. It doesn't fit the 18.5" Smokey Joe Platinum. The molded-in ledge that holds the cooking grate on the later is a lot narrower.

One thing that I don't care about the Jumbo Joe grill is that the charcoal grate is not supported by bolts to keep it from slipping around in the bowl. Ultimately, I will probably drill 3 holes through the bowl and add some bolts to stabilize it better. I will give it a couple of tries before doing that though.

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78127 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/10/2012 9:10 PM
I'll probably use Crisco to season the Craycort cast iron grates going forward, from this and other posts in this thread, some time ago - Thanks!! http://boards.fool.com/just-curious-but-what-is-wrong-with-c...

I didn't have a problem using the food grade linseed oil that I used to season vintage Griswold cast iron cookware, and that did a very impressive job, but it was quite a bit more costly than Crisco, had a comparatively short (refrigerated) shelf life and I'm not convinced that it does a whole lot better than using Crisco.

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78128 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/10/2012 10:49 PM
I like using a lot of very thin coats of a high temp oil to initially season cast iron. After rubbing oil in with my hand, I wipe as much off as I can, then bake it, and repeat, 6 times. That makes for a good start.

See also:

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-te...

http://boards.fool.com/ill-probably-try-to-fry-eggs-taters-a...

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78129 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/11/2012 10:22 AM
One thing that I don't care about the Jumbo Joe grill is that the charcoal grate is not supported by bolts to keep it from slipping around in the bowl. Ultimately, I will probably drill 3 holes through the bowl and add some bolts to stabilize it better. I will give it a couple of tries before doing that though.

There is a ledge that the charcoal grate rests on formed into the bowl. Hopefully, the grate won't slide around too much, with just charcoal and/or wood on top of it. I have a set of Weber Charcoal Rails (not very expensive and they tend to stay put, securely clipped into the charcoal grate) http://store.weber.com/Items/?pid=1348 I clipped one of them into the charcoal grate, sectioning off a little more than 1/3 of the charcoal grate - Here's a pic. The grill is as clean as it will ever be:
http://s229.beta.photobucket.com/user/NoIDAtAll/media/IMAG00...

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78130 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/11/2012 11:21 AM
Craycort cast iron grate mounted, with one of the 3 inserts directly over the 1/3 of the charcoal grate, which is mounted so that the sectioned off charcoal is directly over 2 of the 3 bottom vents: http://s229.beta.photobucket.com/user/NoIDAtAll/media/IMAG00...

I think I should be able to get a very quick outer crust sear on a steak with this setup, and then move it to 1 of the other 2 inserts to finish, probably with some Andria's Brush On Steak Sauce, from one of my favorite local steakhouse restaurants: http://www.andrias.com/sauce.html or maybe some fresh minced garlic whipped into some butter warmed to room temperature.

I'll probably start a Russet potato wrapped in AL foil on 1 of the 2 indirect grate inserts, after punching sum holes into it wid a fork and nuking it in sum butter and seasoned salt for 3 or 2 minutes - pretty good.

Steamed Asparagus, wid sum butter and seasoned salt works pretty well as a side, for me.

FWIW,
Bob

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78131 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/11/2012 1:10 PM
That may be the cleanest grill I've ever seen.

Enjoy your cookin's.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78132 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/11/2012 1:31 PM
That may be the cleanest grill I've ever seen.

Enjoy your cookin's.

It's about to get broken-in. I baked the Craycort inserts in my oven last night, after coating them with Crisco and wiping off as much as I could - Should be pretty good to go - I will post some pics,

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78133 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/11/2012 2:40 PM
This is a $99.95 meal, at most frou-frou restaurants, but I am going to offer it, today only, for da unheard of price of fiddy-two dollars, American.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 78134 of 81721
Subject: Re: I'm Thunking Date: 11/11/2012 3:57 PM
Money shot: http://s229.beta.photobucket.com/user/NoIDAtAll/media/IMAG00...

Porterhouse, baked potato and Port shroom load wid diced red onion, butter, garlic and Feta cheese.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement