UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: SvenHoek Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10547  
Subject: Re: HTPC Date: 2/15/2013 2:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm toying with the idea of building a home theater PC and would appreciate any guidance people here can give on good sources for information on selection of components.

I've build PCs from scratch and maintain our home network and networked devices, so I'm okay from that standpoint, I just need some help from experienced HTPC builders/users so I can get suggestions and avoid problems.

It definitely depends on what you're planning to do with it. I built a system a few years ago to serve as a DVR and media server/player using SageTV and was really happy with it. Unfortunately, as more and more of the content from the cable company became encrypted the usefulness of the DVR became less and less. I recently switched to Plex media software and really like it. I lost the DVR functionality but it's very good at serving the rest of my media to different devices like the iPad and Roku. If you do want DVR capability I've read good things about MythTV.

As for specifying the components for the system, I'd check out the websites others have mentioned and also Tom's Hardware for reviews and recommendations. You really don't need a very powerful system for an HTPC so you should be able to build one pretty inexpensively (unless you want to play games too).

Heck ,if I was building another I might even consider starting with a Raspberry Pi.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement